• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Gas Shocks?

mudpuddle

NAXJA Forum User
Wanting to replace the shocks on my stock 01 (no lift) with some nice aftermarket gas units. The originals have 80K on them and just don't feel right. I would like some suggestions as to the experience of others and what the recommendations are to brand and ride quality. Thanks!

Bilstein

I recently replaced my original shocks, '93 XJ 140K, with a Bilstien set. My Jeep is stock so I bought the set rated for stock replacement, not off road.

I also rebuilt the sway bar at that time. Of course, the change was immediate. There's a lot less rock, left to right, and although I expected a worse ride over bumpy city streets, it's really not worse.

It's a stiffer ride, but I believe the suspension is doing a better job of dispersing the energy produced by ruts and bumps.

I paid about $50 per unit. Are there better gas shocks out there? Probably so.

And of course I'm no expert on this topic, just a guy trying to take his Jeep to its 20-year anniversary. Can't wait till the engine goes out so we can consummate the relationship!

id sugest searching the for sale section - all you have to pay is shipping for most stock suspention components - almost everyone is just trying to give them away...

Back