• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shift Fork?

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
My dana 30 disconnect axle has been "singing" for the last few months,... a fact that I have been negligently ignoring. After jacking it up and spinning the front wheels, it sounds like it might be the actuator fork. The sound is definitely not coming from the pumpkin thank goodness. I know these wear out but before pulling the thing apart is that a typical noise for a worn out fork to make? Yea I know its only 4 bolts but I'm allergic to the cold and am an only Dad with a 10 year old to keep an eye on so that even a small job like this has to be "scheduled." TIA
J

Other than replacing a rotted vacuum line. I´ve cured most of my shift motor ills, with a shot of WD-40 into the vacuum nipples after disconnecting the the vacuum plug/harness very carefully (they break). And exercising the shift motor 5-10 times. That noise when the sleeve doesn´t fully clear the splines has disappeared for awhile. Only seemed to happen, when I hadn´t used 4X for awhile.
Do what I do, I tie the kid up to the dog and whistle when they wander off :gag:

Thanks but my shift motor and vacuum lines are gone. The fork was shimed with washers ages ago by a prior owner of that axle. I'm possibly looking at getting a Posi-Lok if i'm, going to replace the fork anyway. Thanks

With respect to the dog, if I had one I'd have to feed it and walk it. No thanks. I'd rather sleep!

Back