• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10s or 4.56s ?

LBJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running a 87 XJ with a 4.5 lift with 32's and a 4.0 with a AW4. This is my daily driver but I do take it to Paragon on a semi regular basis. Will the 4.56's be to much rpm for the thirty miles to work? Anybody run this combo?

This is an OLD discussion, and one that I myself was involved in recently...
If you KNOW you'll never go bigger than 32s, get the 4:56s. But you may want to later... :gag:
4:56s and 32s are a nice combo, and CAN work with 33s, though it's not ideal. Don't waste the time/money installing 4:10s. You'll be less than happy with 32s, and worse if you ever go bigger.

LBJ said:
I'm running a 87 XJ with a 4.5 lift with 32's and a 4.0 with a AW4. This is my daily driver but I do take it to Paragon on a semi regular basis. Will the 4.56's be to much rpm for the thirty miles to work? Anybody run this combo?

I ran that combo for 2 years before jumping up to 285's (33) on my 89, 4:56's are a great matchup. If you think you'll ever go to 33's, 4:88's are worth considering, especially with a non-HO motor.

4.56 reccomended here too!

I know me and Bill are going to say staaaaaaaayyyyyyyy awaaaaaaaaay from 4.10s...youll most likely be going to 4.88s soon neways....:D:D :laugh:

I'm running 4.10s and 30s, and due to an inexpensive axle swap, I'll be switching over to 4.56s, so it ought to be great with 30s. I'll go to 31s sometime, maybe even 32, but be able to crawl nice is slow is awesome, and not having to downshift on hills great too.

When in doubt, go lower and you will be happy.

Fergie

4.56, you will regret 4.10 after a week or so. i did 4.10 w/ 33's and it didnt help enough, with 31's 4.10 would be great. but believe me 32-34" tires u want 4.56. you will eat less gas b/c you'll be lighter on the throttle and you'll be much happier on the trails and the street.

xjrugger said:
with 31's 4.10 would be great.

Ill second that, Ive been driving 4.10s and 31s for a couple 3 months now, and man, it rules! :D

4.56's

LBJ said:

I have just done 4.56...currently have 31's on a 1992 auto......runs about 3000 rpm at 80 mph....runs SWEET!! I am going to 265/75/16 soon......and I hear 32-33 is awesome with 4.56 if a street driven rig...if more than 50% is off road, then maybe 4.88 for 33's.

4.88s would work well with 33's on a DD too. i have 4.56s 33's and aw4, sometimes wish for a bit more. its still great though

I have been running 4.10 and 33's for 4 years all ready. I get great milage, 18-19 mpg. I have stick shift and some mods to boost powr. Can light up both rear tires in a heart beat. I would go 4.56 if i was't doing a lot of hwy driving. Othervise it's good, it's all good. :sunshine:

98XJ said:
I have been running 4.10 and 33's for 4 years all ready. I get great milage, 18-19 mpg. I have stick shift and some mods to boost powr. Can light up both rear tires in a heart beat. I would go 4.56 if i was't doing a lot of hwy driving. Othervise it's good, it's all good. :sunshine:
Right, the difference is the tranny. Auto's by design require lower gearing, which is why a stock 5 speed rig comes with 3.07 and an AW4 equipped rig comes with 3:55's. Add bigger tires, body armor, winches and gear, then lift it up so the "box" is even less aerodynamic requires even lower gearing to offset the weight and drag.

Gearing charts lie.......trust the real world experience that you have at hand.

so i drive 130 miles to and from school maybe 3 times a month.. I am getting 33x12.50 r 15 trxus tires. would it be better to go with 4.56 or 4.88's. And this is with the AW4 tranny. Would the gas mileage be terrible with the 4.88's?

I drive this thing a lot so gas mileage is a great concern.

rangerjoe2001 said:
so i drive 130 miles to and from school maybe 3 times a month.. I am getting 33x12.50 r 15 trxus tires. would it be better to go with 4.56 or 4.88's. And this is with the AW4 tranny. Would the gas mileage be terrible with the 4.88's?

I drive this thing a lot so gas mileage is a great concern.

I say 4.88's but what year is your XJ? The early models had a taller overdrive which I personally think requires the 4.88's.

Go 4.11s. You've got the exact same set up as me. Works fine.

Why? Cause you won't hang any tire larger than a 32 on the marginal Dana 30 front and whatever rear you're running! I've got a Dana 44 rear. If I went 4.56 or lower, I'd want 35's, and I'd start fraggin parts.

You can't hang larger tires on these wimpy axles.

Back