• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a feature or a electrical problem?

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '88 cherokee pioneer. I have noticed that if I forget to shut the lights off after I turn the vehical off. that the lights will stay on even if I push the switch in. but if I turn the key back to on the lights will go off.. is this a feature or a bug? :D

my 98 has that too it a feature.

Sentintal Headlihgts I believe it's called. Basically shut the car down then turn the lights off, they'll stay lit (just the headlights themselves, not the parking lights curcuit) for about 15 - 30 seconds (maybe 45? I forget), anyway, not to worry, they will kill themselves. Just because I'm paranoid I'm in the habbit of always killing the lights before I shut the car down. If you really don'pt like it, there's a fuse marked "Headlamp Delay" in your fusebox, pull that fuse and this feature will be gone. That circuit does nothing else.

Sequoia

Yes, it is a feature, not a defect. My 88 owner's manual says it will keep the headlights on for 45 seconds after the headlights are turned off.

As you figured out if your headlights are on when you turn off the vehicle then you will activate the feature. If the head lights are off then you turn off the vehicle the feature is not activated. Also you figured out if you don't want the lights on just turn the key back to "on" and the lights will go out.
I like the feature I use to use it so I could get to the back door of my house at night and not trip on anything. Once you know you have it you will find ways to use it.

I guess I need to be more patient.. I never waited very long for them to go off.. I know lincolns had this, never thought about my old cherokee having it.. :D

Thanks!!

No the funny thing is when people tell me my lights are on and I reply "yeah... I know" they kind of look at me with this "what the hell is wrong with you" face then I tell them "they go off automatically" then they ask what year it is and they can't believe an '87 Cherokee would have something like that. I simply tell them "it was designed by the French".

DO A SEARCH!

LOL just Kidding... my loaded 89 Pioneer has this...fiirst time I let my 14 yo daughter drive it, she cut the Jeep off w/o killing the lights off. When they stayed on after she mashed the switch. I freaked out and such... (my hi-$$ xenon bulbs stuck cookin on low-voltage now YOU FOOL! etc...) Dragged her out if the Pilot's chair and went to work... then called NAXJA and found out this was an option. :dunno: :blush:

LOL I don't like it or use it any...got a Xenon flashlight, laser gunsite and the house has porchlights for those chores.

Key on & off defeats it.

Back