• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

181FBI and 194RBI

jldiaz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, all.
My (spanish) FSM says that the front axle is a 181FBI and the rear would be 194RBI. Is this somehow related to Dana 30 & 35?

(98XJ-4.0L/4x4/AW4/NV242) Venezuelan asembly plant.

You may be lucky and have one of the XJ's that came out of that plant that actually have a Dana 44 in the front and back.

The best way is to do a visual inspection. This link should give you the info you need.

http://www.katy.tx4wd.org/tech/axle_id.htm

old_man said:
You may be lucky and have one of the XJ's that came out of that plant that actually have a Dana 44 in the front and back.

The best way is to do a visual inspection. This link should give you the info you need.

http://www.katy.tx4wd.org/tech/axle_id.htm

I don't have my FSM in front of me,but IIRC they referred to the D30 as 181FBI . From past discussion I remember that the D44 fronts were in existance in South America but only in the earlier vehicles.

The D30 is both the 181FBI and the 186FBI. However, the 181 is a high pinion, reverse rotation where the 186 is low pinion, standard rotation. I believe the 181 was used on XJ's until the 2000 model year and is more desireable.

The 194RBI is a D35.

the RBI stands for rear beam iron
and the FBI stands for front beam iron
if it was a dana 44 it would say RBA, meaning rear beam aluminum. the 44's have an aluminum carrier housing.

jneary said:
if it was a dana 44 it would say RBA, meaning rear beam aluminum. the 44's have an aluminum carrier housing.
yoda_spobi.jpg

Really? Hmmm...I better go rethink the options for my D44 now :lecture:

For the NON-SPOBI out there, the Grand Cherokee used an aluminum center section - the '87 XJ D44 was iron...

FYI, the numbers used in the "194RBI" Dana axle designation should refer to the pinion gear diameter in millimeters. The iron 44 is a 216RBI, while the ZJ/WJ 44 is a 226RBA. This makes the ZJ/WJ D44 have a larger ring gear then the iron version at over 9".

--Matt

Kejtar said:
From past discussion I remember that the D44 fronts were in existance in South America but only in the earlier vehicles.
Naw the lucky suckers down there got the front hpD44 optional even in the newer XJ's (97+). There was a guy that posted some photos of his twin 44's from Ven. and it was the new body. (...in a stock non-lifted Jeep I might add, yeah like he needs them :laugh3: ) The export guys get all the goods. :mad:

Looking at the real thing under the truck, it is a D30/D35. High-pinion D30. Thanks for the link. Also, it seems that I have the correct FSM for when I need it. The conclusion is that 181FBI is a High-pinion D30 and 194RBI is a D35.
Thanks all.

Back