• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent leaf springs

Almeek69

NAXJA Forum User
My rear leafsprings are bent just in front of and behind the axel. ( kind of humped over the axel ) will not having rear bump stops cause this?

leaf springs on XJ's are sort of "s" shaped which is normal. is this what your talking about?

Dean

Not having bump stops causes overflex of the rear springs and premature failure like you describe.

xjj33p3r said:
Is there a way to re-shape the leaf springs? Mine have bent into a W shape from the bottom helper spring shifting.
You can take them to a spring shop and have them re-arched. Prices for re-arching vary considerably depending on where you are, so I won't even get into trying to tell you what it "should" cost to have it done.

natures way of saying lift...

go for it - you know you want to

all the cool kids are doing it

cumon!

here here, look at this:
new_16079.jpg

now tell me that you just want to stay at stock height and re-arch your springs...

BTW - thanks ashman for the photo- taken from www.xjdb.com

xjj33p3r said:
Is there a way to re-shape the leaf springs? Mine have bent into a W shape from the bottom helper spring shifting.
You can do it yourself the way that springs used to be shaped in the old days. Having just done this myself, I can attest that it works. You need a large anvil and a big hammer. You work the leaf along its length against the anvil and hammer it into the arch you think you need. I recommend practicing first on a scrap leaf to get the feel of it, but its really quite easy. My dad worked in a spring shop for years and arched hundreds of leaves this way and he showed me how to do it. Or you can take it to a spring shop and have them rearch it on rollers.
B.

Beej said:
You can do it yourself the way that springs used to be shaped in the old days. Having just done this myself, I can attest that it works. You need a large anvil and a big hammer. You work the leaf along its length against the anvil and hammer it into the arch you think you need. I recommend practicing first on a scrap leaf to get the feel of it, but its really quite easy. My dad worked in a spring shop for years and arched hundreds of leaves this way and he showed me how to do it. Or you can take it to a spring shop and have them rearch it on rollers.
B.

Did he mention that they have to be heated first and then heat-treated again afterwards!

Back