• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock valving?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
Bilstein makes 2 different valvings for their 5100 and 5150 series shocks. I beleive you would use the 255/70 in the front and 170/60 in the rear? Is that correct? Is that good for on-road and crawling as well? Thanks.

-Mike

Mike L said:
Bilstein makes 2 different valvings for their 5100 and 5150 series shocks. I beleive you would use the 255/70 in the front and 170/60 in the rear? Is that correct? Is that good for on-road and crawling as well? Thanks.

-Mike

I'd use the 255/70 both front and rear. The 170/60 is kind of light, and the rear might bottom out harder than you want it to. My experience is that stiffer shocks also work in the rocks. I don't think shock valving affects rockcrawling all that much. Too stiff a shock can make it too harsh, but it has to be pretty stiff. Too soft a shock won't provide enough stability. The monotube nitrogen charged shocks can provide the best of both worlds with stiff enough valving for good stability without the harshness of other shocks. I think if it feels good on the road, it's going to work fine on the trail.

Mike L said:

-Mike

That's what I use Mike, but for a full body XJ I'd go 255/70 front/rear.

Paul

Mark Hinkley said:
Mike,

What do YOU need shocks for?

:D

hinkley

My BRAND NEW go cart.

ECKSJAY said:
170/60 is valved for a dual shock application, per Bilstein.

I thought it was for dual application in the front and for some rear applications.

Forgot to ask if the angle of the shocks will have much affect on the valving needs. I will be putting on a Cross Enterprises shock hoop so the rear shocks will be angled in more than stock. What do you guys think now? Still 255/70? Thanks

-Mike L.

ah, you must be the one that posted this on the Pirate board. Effectiveness of the shock is directly influenced by the angle, it's basic trigonometry. For instance a shock at a 45* angle is 70% as effective as verticle. Just do Cosine of the angle off of verticle.

Back