• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prerunning...beefed up motor mounts

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It was recommended by those who have done some prerunning to beef up the motor mounts. The motor mounts have been known to break off the bolts into the block with a real hard hit.......imagine the weight of the motor against the mounts if the suspension bottoms out hard on a big hit or jump. I've also seen motor mount bolts and the bosses in the block break on trail rigs, mostly on ill equiped rigs that had to use some speed to get through obstacles and slammed and or bounced the suspension hard. When one or two of the bosses in the block break off, that can mean needing a new block.....not a good thing.

When I had my motor out putting in the stroker, I went ahead and beefed up the motor mount brackets to avoid any problems. There are two holes close to the mounts on both sides of the block. It's not hard to weld some big angle iron to the motor mount brackets and tie into those extra two holes. This increases the number of bolts going into the block from 3 to 5 per side, and because of the position it greatly decreases the leverage of the mounts to the block.

Here's pics of what mine look like.

Drivers side:
standard.jpg

Passenger side:
standard.jpg

I think people were also recommending changing the hardware to grade 8. What grade are the factory bolts that are used to hold the mount to the block itself? Thanks.

-Mike

that's not pink.....it's fuchia
nice beef-age richard, simple and functional

Mike L said:
I think people were also recommending changing the hardware to grade 8. What grade are the factory bolts that are used to hold the mount to the block itself? Thanks.

-Mike

Anybody?

Mike, I have a block sitting in the garage, so I just took a look. The stock bolts are flange bolts, but I don't remember for sure if those are grade 8 or not.

Goatman said:
Mike, I have a block sitting in the garage, so I just took a look. The stock bolts are flange bolts, but I don't remember for sure if those are grade 8 or not.

Three lines on the drivers side bolts make me think they are grade 5.

Lincoln said:
Three lines on the drivers side bolts make me think they are grade 5.

Yeah, those two. All the other bolts are flange bolts that aren't marked. I'm pretty sure that the guy at the bolt place said they were grade 8, just don't remember 100%.

Goatman said:
Yeah, those two. All the other bolts are flange bolts that aren't marked. I'm pretty sure that the guy at the bolt place said they were grade 8, just don't remember 100%.

Did you weigh those bolts? Throwing the balance off can cause death wobble. I read that on the internet.

Lincoln said:
Did you weigh those bolts? Throwing the balance off can cause death wobble. I read that on the internet.

Balanced, blurprinted, magnafluxed, shotpeened, and cryo'd.

If I get DW, it would likely be caused by my new front crossmember......

Back