• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto tranny 1-2 gear question...

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
Ok, so i really love almsot everything about my xj. only really one small thing that bugs me. That is, not having a seperate posisiton on the shifter for 1st and 2nd. I do alot of back roads driving in my canyons up here in nor-cal. and i usually use 2nd gear to get a bit of engine braking, save my brakes. And the gearing is just about perfect....but, it becomes a pain, in some of the sharper corners, everything i drop below 25mph, it down shifts into first, then wont upshift again untill redline. And its a pain having to go back to third, then back to second out of every tight corner. Maybe im being to picky...but, is there anything that can be done about that? Shift kits or the like? i know the trannys computer contoled, but i dont know to what extent.....so, anything, (other than swaping in a manual, i love my auto otherwise!!)

Thanks for the replies. I figured there was probbaly some way aorund it. As for searching, ive been doing so much of that...my eyes hurt!! but some great stuff here!! Looks like im gonna have to be doing some wiring!!

HMMMM...liking this full auto idea....i almsot always shift it manually, anyways......NOw my brain is going...thinking B&M style shift with a micro swich in each position...maybe a little easyer to up and down shift with that a rotary switch...and still have your normal park and reverse positions!! maybe a handle with a nitros typw button for converter lock? put it all in one place...maybe even some creaive wireing for a manul/auto switch??? Time to break out the old thinknig cap!!

i see you live in Alta, my parents live between Auburn and Grass Valley and I'll be home for a month for Christmas break. You can check out my shifter then if you like. I am really happy with it for daily-driving, wheeling, everything...

check out the Sierra Chapter board here, we'll definitely be doing some snow runs in dec/jan

Sweet. May do...though im still a bit small for deep snow....only on 32's right now, and open front and track-loc rear. though i hope to this month be getting 4.56's and a front true-track. we'll see. but i still want to mess arounf with the idea of using a B&M style shifter...i dont think i would have a issue with your way, but it would be convieniant use the same shifter for it all....and using microswitches, and a new lable, maybe change the shigft pattern....P-R-N-1-2-3-4. gotta research. but using one shifter would make it easyer on anyone else who might jump in to drive it...that and an auto/manual switch.

I've done go-jeep's mod and am very happy with the results. It's great for going down hills about in the 35 MPH region.

Back