• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj rear ?

xray

NAXJA Member #1056
is it possible to a zj rear end in an xj ? i know the mounts are different i guess my ? is are they the same width?

It still has to be modified for the axle flange,I have yet to finish mine but its right on top of the list for my Cheromanche completion!

RCP Phx said:
It still has to be modified for the axle flange,I have yet to finish mine but its right on top of the list for my Cheromanche completion!

Yeah, you can drop it right in once you change the spring perches (maybe the shock mount, but I don't know).

But more to the point, RCP: What's your Cheromanche? Real or fake?

Spend the time on dropping in a 95'+ explorer 8.8 in there and then you'll have something, plus the nice disc brakes.
Troy

thanks, sounds good i know exactly where i can get my paws on one real cheap. what mods need to be done to the housing? i guess its a good thing there are so many fords in the scrap heap.

sweetjeep said:
But more to the point, RCP: What's your Cheromanche? Real or fake?

Im not exactly sure what your asking,but Im doing the truck type conversion to my 95 2dr!Heres a pic of a 4dr!
standard.jpg

aluminum zj rear ?

I have heard several times that the ZJ rear is crap. My question is why? It is aluminum, great for weight savings right? Of course aluminum would be weaker, but they put 5.9 v-8s with 345 ft-lbs of torque in zjs, so it can't be that bad. what kind of strength are we looking at compared to the dana 35? also, how does this rear end affect locking differential choice? we couldn't just put a detroit in there?

on that note, Four Wheeler just published an axle strength article. The torque input rating for the 31 spline 8.8 was rated nearly twice that of the dana 35. some people already knew that i'm sure, but to see it in numbers makes an impression for some reason.

Re: aluminum zj rear ?

Good question Papa. I don't know the answer either. All I know is that when you look for aftermarket parts for the aluminum Dana 44 you are SOL. Few gearing choices and fewer lockers. I suspect there are casting changes due to the aluminum. But you're right, you'd think it would be a better choice.

PapaPump said:
I have heard several times that the ZJ rear is crap. My question is why? It is aluminum, great for weight savings right? Of course aluminum would be weaker, but they put 5.9 v-8s with 345 ft-lbs of torque in zjs, so it can't be that bad. what kind of strength are we looking at compared to the dana 35? also, how does this rear end affect locking differential choice? we couldn't just put a detroit in there?

on that note, Four Wheeler just published an axle strength article. The torque input rating for the 31 spline 8.8 was rated nearly twice that of the dana 35. some people already knew that i'm sure, but to see it in numbers makes an impression for some reason.

Welcome to the ZJ world… I’ve been wheeling my aluminum 44 for several years without incident however, there are some down sides to the 44… A) other then Track-Loc, there are no lockers available (Aussie Locker under development) B) Aluminum is soft therefore, keeping sufficient amounts of metal under the pumpkin is a problem… this leads to the cover peeling back and allowing juice to spill as well as the machined threads stretching… the upside is weight savings when adding larger tires & steelies and aftermarket bumpers & winches.

To be honest, I get by very well with a Lock-Right in the front 30 and Track-Loc in the rear and have no desire to swap in an 8.8 or 9 until the aluminum 44 grenades…

not all zj d44's are aluminum. a buddy of mine has a disc d44 out of a '94 Limited. They're out there, but theyre not cheap, I found one at a local junk yard (cast iron, disc) for $350 without rotors or calipers.

crazyoffroader said:
not all zj d44's are aluminum. a buddy of mine has a disc d44 out of a '94 Limited. They're out there, but theyre not cheap, I found one at a local junk yard (cast iron, disc) for $350 without rotors or calipers.

hum, this is a first... after all these years I thought the only iron rear was a 35, cool, time to hit the Want Adverstier for throw-aways!

PapaPump said:
I have heard several times that the ZJ rear is crap. My question is why?

I've heard a few that howl like mad, ear-ringing loud in the back seat, but never seen one grenade. Not sure what is attributable to the 'aluminum' construction. I've never seen one apart.
A friend had his AL44 completely rebuilt under warrantee at 30k, still made some noise. Chrysler replaced the entire axle, two years later and this one is doing the same thing.
Might work fine for a buggy if you skid plate/truss it a little ??

They are used on the Vipers also. It is not so much a strength issue as it is a reliability issue along with the fact that gears and lockers are hard to come by. The trash-lock doesn't take abuse very well and the housing is weeker than a typical d44.

I agree on the Ford 8.8....its much stronger....the aluminum case on the ZJ D44 will not take ANY trail abuse for long....the case will crack, as well as the cover peeling (this I saw being hauled out of the Roosevelt Natl Forest the hardway)

crazyoffroader said:
I'm almost positive that it's a D44, but I'll have to check tonight.
Just checked, it IS a Cast Iron D44, with disc brakes, and that these came in (at least) the '93-'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 5.2. It may have come in other models/years/options, but these are the ones that I know about for a fact.

Back