• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New radiator

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
Gonna be putting a new radiator in this weekend (97 XJ), and was wondering if it would be a good idea to drain the block as well? Anything special I should note? ( I have put many radiators in befor just never one in an XJ)

Piece of cake install with your said experience. A complete fluid change wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Don't forget to flush the heater core while you're at it. Both hoses are right up top so it's simple to flush in both directions using an ordinary garden hose.
Might want to pick up a little ATF for what you'll lose in the radiator/cooler.

Totally agree. I didn't do that the last time, and end up with my nice new clear coolant mixed with the crapola from the heater core. Went from nice pale green to crap brown green.

One more thing. If I drain the block, how can I refill it. The thermostat will be closed so I can't just pour in coolant through the top hose correct? If I remove the housing and therm. I can't pour anything in because its horizontal? Forgive the stupidity, but I must be missing something.

Back