• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box hose fittings change

xjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
First off this is my first post here in the tech section. So howdy :wave: . While I found a TON of good info on upgrading steering boxes I couldn't find an answer to this exact question.

I pulled my steering box yesterday and in the process broke one bolt and upon getting it out found a big crack between the lower mounting bolts. Time for a replacement. I'm looking at putting one from an 00 into my 95. I've searched all over and from what I can find the box is the same but they changed the fittings somewhere along the line.

Does anybody know on which end of the hoses those fitting changes were made? If it's on the steering box side no problem I'm getting new hoses anyway, but if it's on the side that goes into the resivoir or the pump then I might have a problem.

If the change is on the pump side then can I just use a new hose for a 95 on the 00 box? Since I'm getting the box from a pick and pull I want to try and get everything I'll need on the first trip. Thanks.

That will be news to me about the fitting size.

I do think the power asist will be different though. The 00 will feel a bit more heavy than the 95. It got changed somewhere around 96 or 97 I think.

hinkley

Well, still not sure on that. I know i've used 98 stuff in older stuff for sure. Both pumps and boxes. 00s might have a change as he says so the easiest thing is to grab the lines off the 00 when you grab the box.

BTW, I like the pre 96-97 boxes for their assist a lot better than the newer ones, much better off road but a little lighter touch than some like on road.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
BTW, I like the pre 96-97 boxes for their assist a lot better than the newer ones, much better off road but a little lighter touch than some like on road.

hinkley

Now you got me thinking twice. Running 31's right now but moving up to 33's soon. Which is why I'm beefing up my steering box and mounting.

Either way, Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Back