• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for advice on going to front leafs(sorry long)

cLAYH

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the planning stages(still) of putting a D44 in the front of my XJ. I have been putting it off mostly because of all of the work involved in putting brackets on to a D44 and trying to decide whether to narrow a HP Ford or just use a Waggy and trying to find one for a decent price. Then I got thinking I have sitting in the floor of my garage 3 Dodge passenger side D44 diffs, one with 4.10s and posi. I also have a passenger side drop NP208.

PROS:
If I went leafs I don't have to spend money on new control arms(still running stock) or buying/building a new diff. I also get rid of the trac bar headache(still running a re-drilled stock). Design would be much simpler. The NP208 has a fixed output so that solves my SYE dilema as well. No more diff smashing the exhaust down pipe.

Cons
Downsides, I imagine the ride would be rougher and would lose some articulation. Have to build leaf mounts. Would lose my 242 Full/Part time 4WD. Would have to completly re-route exhaust. I'll feel like I cheated/took the easy way out.

So what else am I missing? Flame on. :)

I'm not too up on Dodge diffs, but I think they're considered to be the bastard child of D44s. I know many I've seen have stupid unit-bearing type hubs and I think a vacuum disconnect. also, to run a passenger side diff you will have to cut out a large portion of the floor and remake it; doesn't sound fun to me. are you sure your 208 will even bolt up to your tranny? I think a passenger side diff is more trouble than it's worth.

now to seperate out the leaf-spring question; this has been debated here a lot and I can say that I like mine a lot. It flexes PLENTY, was cheap, simple, effective, rides better than 3.5" with short-arms, has a very predictable feel to it, etc. The only downsides I've encountered is axle wrap (very rare and should be easy to eliminate with a single bar), approach angle very minorly decreased, and getting harassed by web-wheelers.

I have never claimed it to be the best, but walking up Soupbowl (with no spotter) the first time I've ever even seen it is good enough for me.

rubicon005.sized.jpg

BrettM said:
I'm not too up on Dodge diffs, but I think they're considered to be the bastard child of D44s. I know many I've seen have stupid unit-bearing type hubs and I think a vacuum disconnect. also, to run a passenger side diff you will have to cut out a large portion of the floor and remake it; doesn't sound fun to me. are you sure your 208 will even bolt up to your tranny? I think a passenger side diff is more trouble than it's worth.

now to seperate out the leaf-spring question; this has been debated here a lot and I can say that I like mine a lot. It flexes PLENTY, was cheap, simple, effective, rides better than 3.5" with short-arms, has a very predictable feel to it, etc. The only downsides I've encountered is axle wrap (very rare and should be easy to eliminate with a single bar), approach angle very minorly decreased, and getting harassed by web-wheelers.

Thanks for the reply, I used to run an old Dodge off-road which is where the D44 came from. Dodge used those stupid unit bearings from '74-'79. Then used regular hubs from '80-'84. '85 and on used the Vac disconnect but you could still use manual hubs and just defeat the Vac system(just like a D30).

Its looking like converting to passenger side swap maybe more of a pain than I originally thought. Just too bad since I have sooo much Dodge D44 stuff kicking around. Have to think somemore on the leaf thing.

Did you put your shackles upfront? Is so why? I know some CJ guys that swapped theirs to the rear for better ride.

i actually started with it to the rear, and it was bad. it was a rock anchor back there, and the angle of the leaf-spring was so steep there was massive brake dive and would have required a looong slip driveshaft. after much research, the consensus seems to be that front leafs climb better with the shackle at the front. if you really want the shackle at the rear you will need to build a big drop crossmember up front for the fixed end of the leafs.

Back