• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke my wifes tcase...now what?

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
tcasewhitejeep0009.jpg

its a 84-86 207? tcase on the end of a 2.8v6 auto...whats a good replacement? I've got a 89 parts jeep with a 4.0 AW4/231...will the 231 work? Theres nothing like breaking the wifes jeep to get you in trouble.

3374.jpg

Just made a quiet pop and a loud crack a second later...

stay out of her Jeep, M does a good job of driving herself. PM Kevin/Kudzu and ask him.

Pretty sure the 231 should bolt right in. both are 21 spline. the 207 is just lighter duty than the 231.

I cant seem to remember what auto tranny they put behind the 2.8....is it an aw4??

The problem with swappin in an NP231 is that the position of the output shafts is different. One driveshaft needs to be about an inch longer the other needs to be about an inch shorter. Can't remember which is which. Otherwise the swap is pretty much a no brainer as long as you get the correct NP231 with the correct spline count. Oh, I almost forgot, the front driveshafts are not compatible. The NP207 uses a flat flange while the NP231 uses a Ujoint type yoke. The NP207 is also a CV type shaft with a solid approximately 1" diameter shaft. The NP231 uses a dual cardan joint.

Too bad you aren't local. I know where I could probably score an NP207 for free. The shipping would be a royal pain.

Last edited:
Back