• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD Tacoma axle VS 4WD Tacoma axle...

MC-92

NAXJA Forum User
Are the gear sets the same for these two axles... the Precision site says it's for a 4X4......Are the 2wd's different......I just picked up a 2wd v6 Taco rear for my XJ.... need a part # for some 4.88's..... any help would be appreciated......

If you have the v6, then you have the 30 spline, if it was the 4cyl, then it would be 27 spline. That is the only reason I could think of any differences.

I'm picking an axle up this weekend, and I am just going to swap the 3rd out with the gears I need.

Fergie

5 x 4.5.......

are 4.56 the lowest FACTORY set for the Tacomas...?????? Are the 4 cyl and 6 cyl thirds the same........????

I'm thinking about trying to swap shafts from my Taco axle to a 4 runner axle.... That way I can use the 4.88 factory third I found and keep the 5 x 4.5 BP...... whatcha think?

MC-92 said:
5 x 4.5.......

are 4.56 the lowest FACTORY set for the Tacomas...?????? Are the 4 cyl and 6 cyl thirds the same........????

I'm thinking about trying to swap shafts from my Taco axle to a 4 runner axle.... That way I can use the 4.88 factory third I found and keep the 5 x 4.5 BP...... whatcha think?

Different width I believe.

From waht I have read over on POR, you want to stay away from factory 4.88s as they are an oddball. Limited to no lockers and you cant find any other gears for the 3rd.

As far as the 4Runners go, I have no clue.

The thirds are the same as far as I know as long as you stay away from the e-lockeed version and stay away from the non-prerunner, 2wd, 4cyl.

Fergie

PM brettM he runs toy axles and knows quite a bit about stuffing them into an MJ...

MJs are different in that the rear springs are closer together, so you can get away using a mini-truck axle. With XJs, you need a Taco axle for the right width.

Fergie

Back