• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The best rocker protection I could come up with...

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
HEres what Santa might be bringing me this year. Looking to get the rocker area as protected as possible so Heres my game plan- also need to know if the first 2 are compatible with each other...

rockrails: C4x4, I like how they follow the body lines and I have read good reviews
roundnerf3t.jpg

Since I have also read that, in rare instances, rails can push in the rocker panel regaurdless of who its made by, I found these at rockratz and I already have a few small dents in this area and would like to cover it up and protect from rust.
30_1.JPG

- figured this will be a great companion for the rails...if it will fit??

and to top that off and protect the bottom of the doors and to match I want these:
rocker_03_t.jpg

well, it looks good to me lol :wave:

I don't know that the rock ratz rails will fit behind the c4x4 ones. The c4x4 ones have a pretty tight fit. If they do though....then it's a good plan.

I eventually replaced my entire rockers after my c4x4 rails gave up and pushed into them. It took over a year and a half of hard wheeling though. And you can kinda see in this picture how my pinch seam warped where they were attached:

IMG_4773.JPG

If I had to do it over again and I didn't plan on wheeling my XJ as hard as I do now.....then I still would have purchased them....they were good and I like the look.

Better pic:
IMG_2838.JPG

Just get the ones from Detoursusa.com and you won't have to worry about them pushing in. Not to mention its probably cheaper than the combined cost of the three kits you listed.

ahhhh your right! I forgot the detours came with a force field that protects the bottom of the doors, covers up what the rockratz ones do while hiding the little dents, (not to mention little rust spots that are worrying me, and I'd like to just seal everything with some silicon before they go on)- nah im pickin, the detours are a nice set up but I could read the 1000 other threads that do with comparisons- I just wanted to know if there is enough room behind the c4x4 ones to use the rockratz trail rails

I don't know how much the rocker covers are from rockratz but wouldn't it be pretty easy to cut some diamond plate and scew it over your rockers? Paint it black if you want? If all your looking for is to cover up dents/rust it seems like this would be a cheaper way to go. I guess if someone else is getting it for you for Xmas it doesn't matter, but you could get something else with the $ or save someone the cash.

SteelblueSteve said:
I don't know how much the rocker covers are from rockratz but wouldn't it be pretty easy to cut some diamond plate and scew it over your rockers? Paint it black if you want? If all your looking for is to cover up dents/rust it seems like this would be a cheaper way to go. I guess if someone else is getting it for you for Xmas it doesn't matter, but you could get something else with the $ or save someone the cash.
they still serve a structural advantage I would guess... I mean they say you can use them with a hi-lift (I'm a little iffy on that) but good point.... however metal fab skills I lack..

anyone wanna make me a set for 50$ :D

dothedew24_7 said:
they still serve a structural advantage I would guess... I mean they say you can use them with a hi-lift (I'm a little iffy on that) but good point.... however metal fab skills I lack..

anyone wanna make me a set for 50$ :D
I figured you would already have planned to make some out of fiberglass.

I don't think you could use it as a jack point especially if your going with the rock rails as well, don't think you could get to it. 50$ and the cost of material and shipping and it's a done deal.

Okie Terry said:
I figured you would already have planned to make some out of fiberglass.
:laugh3: and I can mold in some speakers while I'm at it!

SteelblueSteve said:
I don't think you could use it as a jack point especially if your going with the rock rails as well, don't think you could get to it. 50$ and the cost of material and shipping and it's a done deal.
no I ment if you used the rock lizards alone they claim they can be used as a jack point- obviously you would use the actual rails to jack- Ill get back to you on the $50 lol

In the short time I've enjoyed this web site I've learned nothing is obvious. Read the numerous posts on people planning to install lift kits with nothing but a hi-lift, not you , I know. This is a great place to learn, seriously.

I see those bolt on steel plates and all I think about is rust...

Being in VA this may not be an issue for you?

r@m

Root Moose said:
I see those bolt on steel plates and all I think about is rust...

Being in VA this may not be an issue for you?

r@m
It's a little iffy- Most people that I've heard of have problems around the Maryland area and north. I actually bought the Jeep in Maryland, looking through the dealer lots most if not all the cars had some kinda light rust somewhere- big difference from the car dealers where I live.
-What I would have probley done was sand down the rocker area, give about 2 layers of duplicolor bedliner (thin stuff), and sealed it with some kind of caulking before I screwed it on.

Back