• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trimmed rear but want a little more

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i trimmed the rear quite some time ago by making vertical cuts and pounding it over. i did not go as high as i could have at teh time and now that i moved up to bigger tires i would like to get that extra inch or so. i'll try to get a pic up in a bit. my question is how can i trim some more. i will probably just make some new cuts and try beating it again but i thought i would ask first

heres the best pic i can find
rearwell.jpg

Last edited:
My 97 is trimmed like yours in the rear with 6" and 37's and have plenty of room. Time for more bumpstop.:D

Here's a picture with the 37's stuffed.

100_0048.jpg

100_0045.jpg

well my 33's barely clear, not pictured, i added 2.5" of bumpstops. it just seems like i have a little more roomthat i could get out of it

I dont think he wants to add bump stops.

The only way that you can get more room is by rewelding the pinch seam. I was going to do that this past week, but didnt have time.

so yall would say that is about the max i can take it without welding it up

If it is, can someone point me to a write up or even a thread showing it done on a 4 door

Last edited:
Well I think it depends on where you need the room. You could still fold up the bottom of the rear quarter panels without welding. That would make some more room for the back side of the tire.

Starboard M said:
Has anyone had any more thought on this? Sounds like some people think that it isnt good for the unibody.

Lore5, what does your Jeep look like? Im in Lafayette, so I might have seen you around.

I've got a black 95 with a three inch lift and black rockcrawlers. A red firestick antena, custom front bumper, and hacked fenders are some of the things that might make it stand out. How about you?

i've chopped the quarters, nothing has happened cuz of it, when flexed out it doesnt move any more than before.

Its no worse than living in a salt prone climate where 80% of all quarters are rusted out at the bottom.

Just cut above the pinch seam like I did. You'll thank yourself later because it gives a lot more room and no rubbing at all.
You can't see too well in the picture of how high I cut, but you can see that I just about have as much room as I do in front.
3989273-R1-000-58.jpg

Lore5 said:
I've got a black 95 with a three inch lift and black rockcrawlers. A red firestick antena, custom front bumper, and hacked fenders are some of the things that might make it stand out. How about you?
'89 with 4.5'' of lift on 32 MTRs. Have large Goodyear stickers and other random stickers on the windows. Older white firestick and no front bumper.

Quick question, in the front of the wheel well, what is behind that? I have a 2 door, so there is no door there.

Oh, and when you cut the pinch seam, do you need more metal to add cause of the hole? Or do you just move and weld?

One of the first things I did was to cut my fenders and put on TJ flares. I knew I would want that extra space for larger tires down the road. I originally was going to go with 31's but after my lift install I got a little over 5" of lift so I decided to go with 33's. I have plenty of clearance. Here is a link to some of my progress, (not the best pics).
http://www.netexportal.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10004

I used the following write up to cut my rear quarters. The only thing I used was a 4 1/2 grinder with cut-off & grinding wheel.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29750
I still have not welded up the sides of the quarters, and have not had any problems. Right now the sides are just folded up. You can choose to just use pop rivets to close up the rear, as in the write up.

Last edited:
Back