• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aussie just arrived! now what

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
yay! and its snowing really hard outside! this is going to be a great day.

any special tips or tricks before i dive into the rear D44 and install this thing?

Thanks

jjvande said:
yay! and its snowing really hard outside! this is going to be a great day.

Dang, you ain't kidding. I25 was (is?) shut down south of Santa Fe. I tried driving up the hill to work, and had to turn around and give up. Crazy people were flying by (and straight into the ditch).

I thought NM was a warm state??? I guess Cali is too, but elevations changes everything (1-1/2 ft in Lake Tahoe). How long did it take to get the locker from when you ordered to getting it in you hands? I heard they take some time, especially the OX stuff. Should be pretty easy to install. Just take your time and follow all the steps and don't have any parts left over when you think you're done. :laugh3:
Troy

Big Red said:
I thought NM was a warm state??? I guess Cali is too, but elevations changes everything (1-1/2 ft in Lake Tahoe). How long did it take to get the locker from when you ordered to getting it in you hands? I heard they take some time, especially the OX stuff. Should be pretty easy to install. Just take your time and follow all the steps and don't have any parts left over when you think you're done. :laugh3:
Troy
yea, its 5-6K feet here (elev.). more than usual snowfall this year so far.

It took 10 days from NY to NM @ $22 for 5lb package. i wasnt happy, but now that its here i am!

Well, im off to the dealer for lube and sealer. Ill post how it goes later when i finish the install. or ill be back asking for answers when it doesnt fit:gag:

thanks

jjvande said:
yea, its 5-6K feet here (elev.). more than usual snowfall this year so far.

It took 10 days from NY to NM @ $22 for 5lb package. i wasnt happy, but now that its here i am!

Well, im off to the dealer for lube and sealer. Ill post how it goes later when i finish the install. or ill be back asking for answers when it doesnt fit:gag:

thanks

Avoid the Dealer at all costs. Go to the part store and get some Mobile 1 and some black or red RTV high temp seal. The temp was down to 28 F here in Sacramento at night, pretty chilly. Thought I was back in Chicago. :)
I'm going to the dealer for my radiator hosing, but that's because they are prebent, have internal springs, etc etc that make them special and worth the extra cost. I need to replace my radiator and I'm replacing my hoses on my 91' then too. Hope the install goes good. Take your time and do it right, get on the phone if you need to. Post how it goes and how the locker performs. I hear it is very manageable on the street.
Troy

i jsut got back from the dealer...youre right... $16.50 for a tube of diff RTV!!!

i said,"no thanks" and walked right out. i swear i got it cheaper, $3.50? in AZ at the dealer.

ok, enough typing...time to get to the install.

THanks:repair::repair::repair::repair::repair::repair::repair::repair::repair::repair::repair::repair:

ok, so i open the diff and it looks like i have the "thick" gears as the rod that goes through the carrier doesnt look like it will come out past the teeth.

I take it i have to remove the ring gear...possibly the entire carrier assy. to get this thing installed? does this involve "setting" up the gears again? I've never done this before.

Thanks

jjvande said:
ok, so i open the diff and it looks like i have the "thick" gears as the rod that goes through the carrier doesnt look like it will come out past the teeth.

I take it i have to remove the ring gear...possibly the entire carrier assy. to get this thing installed? does this involve "setting" up the gears again? I've never done this before.

Thanks
NM, i googled a lockright install...didnt think i would have to remove the entire thing. Thanks

so i got the thing apart. axles out. 2 pry bars on the carrier. ring grear off. spiders out. aussie in. and am ready to reverse the process and test. whish me luck...it hasn't been that bad so far!

fizassist said:
Dang, you ain't kidding. I25 was (is?) shut down south of Santa Fe. I tried driving up the hill to work, and had to turn around and give up. Crazy people were flying by (and straight into the ditch).

Santa Fe is a exit off of I-25 here in Denver, south of that is towards me and past me is Colorado Springs. I thought I was going crazy (just drove on I-25 south of Santa Fe). I was like, um, we only got 6" of snow. Then I saw where you guys were from............ :wierd:

ok, so the aussie is working properly...

should i take a look at the mesh pattern on the R&P after taking off the ring gear? would it have changed. when i put the carrier back into the housing, it didnt want to go in all the way so i used the caps to force it the last 1/3" or so to seat. just pressed in nicely with little force on the bolts.

backlash measures the same as before i removed the carrier/ring gear.
thanks

jjvande said:
ok, so the aussie is working properly...

should i take a look at the mesh pattern on the R&P after taking off the ring gear? would it have changed. when i put the carrier back into the housing, it didnt want to go in all the way so i used the caps to force it the last 1/3" or so to seat. just pressed in nicely with little force on the bolts.

backlash measures the same as before i removed the carrier/ring gear.
thanks

As long as you marked the ring gear and carrier, and reinstalled it in the same position, torqued correctly, you should be golden.
To drive the carrier 'home' with the bearing caps is normal.
Congrats.

How does the Aussie feel back there on the street? I hear it and the no-slip are more civilized than the lock-rite.

well, i finished up.

my first impressions of the aussie are great. it locks under power and disengages when coasting. it does clank a little as it ratchets, but i think it will lessen with time and proper diff fluid level. it definitly takes some different driving on the street. torque steer is there, but not too bad. i have yet to take it on the highway. the backlash is the same as stock. If you power around corners from a stop, the inside wheel scrubs.

off road is amazing. i took it for the test on some snowy dirt roads. I did things in 2wd i couldnt in 4wd. Donuts are REALLY fun now:). In 4wd i notice it only in sharp turns where it doesnt ratchet due to the 5-speed keeping it locked all the time ( especially in 4lo). I love this thing, but keep in mind i have no prior experience with lockers of any brand.

I plan on going up into the mountains tomorrow to test it in deep snow and rocks. ill give an update in the future as to how it performs.

Thanks for all the help.

BTW, i used the search function soo much during the install. I love this forum:heart:

peace

jjvande said:
i jsut got back from the dealer...youre right... $16.50 for a tube of diff RTV!!!

i said,"no thanks" and walked right out. i swear i got it cheaper, $3.50? in AZ at the dealer.

Ouch! I just used the orange RTV from autozone (because that's what was on there before). It's held up fine. Thanks for the report on the Aussie!

I thought id give an update to the install.
been driving the jeep a few days now. mostly DDing. A few things i've noticed about how the aussie behaves with the 5-speed. the only time i really notice the locker is in parking lots trying to maneuver in tight spaces on pavement. if very light and gentle on the throttle, the aussie ratchets and all is well. if abrupt on the throttle, the jeep can get into a resonating/jerking situation where the locker is switching between locked and unlocked at about 2Hz. this causes the jeep too jerk and jounce and can be stopped by disengaging the clutch. getting into this "mode" is somewhat unpredictable. what is predictable is stomping the throttle and sending it directly into lock mode. the tire scrubs, but no jerking. just be sure there is nobody near that you might hit.

BTW, ive already gotten a lot of weird looks when cruising parking lots. the ratcheting is loud and people think your car is F'ed up. but i dont care, cause lockers are amazing:chef: I think with an auto the behavior of this locker would be much more friendly...

Back