• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hi lift jack on a surco rack?

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
anyone heard of this or done it? im going to have a 33 spare on it so i think its going to have to go on the outside. what about one of the plastic "jack gaurds" . i have the 4x4 mount already for a 48incher. . i was going to build a storage box for the back and bolt it to that.. but outside would look cooler haha. thanks guys

I used the mounts from Hilift that I already had and mounted them to the side of the rack. I would suggest that you consider putting the jack inside the Jeep though. If it spends any time outside in the rain and weather, it might be a little difficult to use when you need it. If you do mount it outside, keep it well lubed. Anyway, here's a pic of how I used to have it mounted.

jeep029.jpg

jfiscus said:
Keep it inside your jeep, lubed, and clean; or else it'll rust, stick, and not work when you need it.

Good point! I just rebuilt mine for that very reason. What a mess the elements play on an exposed Hi-lift.

I now just keep the rail part mouinted on my Surco rack. I keep the jack mechnism, handle, and the foot pad inside out of the elements. This makes it less likely to get stolen as well, since the rail looks like a fence post and uninviting, but it's still locked up just incase....

Ivan

I had my Hi-Lift mounted to the side of my Surco rack, but I moved it to the rear and then to the inside because that thing is a tree magnet! I've got dents in my roof from the jack catching trees and pushing into the roof. Best to keep it inside and out of the weather anyway. Just my .02

If you are planning on putting the spare on the rack, move the jack to the spare tire bracket inside. Bend some all thread and bolt it straight to that at an angle. The top of the jack should rest above the grab handles above the rear door. Works great and you will benifit from less stuff catching trees, less stuff creating wind drag on the freeway, easier to get too, the rain and foul weather will not kill the jack. Another $.02.

I just got two 5/8" boltsand 4 nuts and washers to go through the flat plates on the side of the rack. Bolt up the bolts at proper distance and then use the other two bolts to hold the rack. You can also drill a hole through on of the bolts to fit a lock through it :lock: Its worked great for years, can also put it on the back of the rack if your worried about hitting trees.

thanks for all your help guys.. that loc rack bolt right on .? i want it outside for looks mostly. ill have the custom box witht the 4x4 mount inside when its snotty out. or wheelin..thanks again

keith

Silverstreak01 said:
thanks for all your help guys.. that loc rack bolt right on .? i want it outside for looks mostly. ill have the custom box witht the 4x4 mount inside when its snotty out. or wheelin..thanks again

keith

just drill some holes and bolt it up. i also used a steel plate on the back to sandwich the aluminum rack for better support.

I mount mine on the inside of the rack on passenger side. I have 32" spare up top on the 50x60" rack. I used some 250 lb strength zip ties I got at www.cableties.com or you can use a bunch of regular 75 lb ties. It's outside all the time, still works and looks great. I just spray some wd-40 on the working parts every now and then.

I have my 60" hi-lift in the jackguard case mounted inside my rack, has been there about a year, still looks new. Get the case it is worth the money.

Back