• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Isuzu Dana 44

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well I had an interesting find the other day. I have a zuzu 44, came out of a rodeo. Don't have any use for it anymore, so I am trying to sell it. Well I pulled the shafts just for the hell of it. Turns out these things are way beefier than a XJ 44 shaft. It measures out to 1.5", same as a 35 spline 60 shaft, then it necks down just before the splines. This is just a great rearend. It measures out to about 59" WMS to WMS, has disc brakes. It does have that funky yoke and carrier, but it's all interchangeable. Plus the beefy shafts. If I had to choose between this and a XJ 44, it would be the zuzu rearend hands down. I was gonna run it, but I got a sweet deal on a 9". Why don't we see more of these things out there? I am assuming since it's out of a newer vehicle that there is less of a population in the yards...... :repair:

Htek here on the board has one of those that he's swapping in. If I remember correctly, the calipers are really expensive, so if you find one in a junkyard be sure to get it COMPLETE. Sounds like a great axle, I'd guess the main reason more people don't use them is that they're 6 lug. (Toyota has sweet 6 lug axles too ;) )

A pair of loaded calipers from Autozone is $160, I guess thats kinda pricey since my chevy ones are $60. If I can't sell this thing, I'm gonna have to put some new brakes on it and slap some XJ perches on it. It's amazing what a difference makes when the axle is bolt in. But then the price has to go up to compensate for all the new parts. Anyways, I never saw the problem with a 6 lug setup. With all the interchangablility of ford and chevy parts, you can run a 6 lug front real easy. Is it because it's not a popular wheel or what? I mean all chevy stuff is 6 lug, and Toyota and some Jeep.......... :wierd:

6 lug is great! if you're planning on swapping the front axle. (I have a Toy rear and Waggy D44 front)

the XJ d44 and Ford 8.8 are so popular because they are 5on4.5 and most people try to keep the D30 around since it's a half-decent axle but the D35 is crap.

So let me get this straight - the shafts are thicker than a normal D44 until it necks down to the splines. The diameter at the splines is the same as a standard D44?

If so, I don't see the attraction compared to any other D44. Your stress riser is right at where the splines start. It's no stronger and if anything it will be a PITA to remove the splined section that snapped off if (when?) the axle breaks.

If you need/want a 6 lug pattern I guess it would be ok. Width is nice.

Or did I misunderstand your description?

r@m

I am vrey interested in the rear end. I have my front set up for 6 bolts because I used to run a Toyota truck and have a surplus of wheels that I hate to go to waste. I have been looking for an waggy rear with 6 lugs but would much rather have this since it is already set up with discs.

Yeah, that's a sweet axle for an XJ. If I hadn't already gotten a great deal on some 5 on 5.5" wheels, I'd be all over it.

root moose what i was thinking

Root Moose said:
If so, I don't see the attraction compared to any other D44. Your stress riser is right at where the splines start. It's no stronger and if anything it will be a PITA to remove the splined section that snapped off if (when?) the axle breaks.

But do you think this is a big enough factor to negate the fact that it has 1.5" shafts and to call it no stronger? Most people are gonna be runnin' this on 35's max (I should hope). I don't see this as a big enough issue for me not to swap this in favor of a XJ 44........ :pig:

And Brett, my Hp44 is running chevy from the knuckle out, so the 6 lug is what I was looking for. And I'll have to agree on the yota axles. But I just happened across a 9" that was 6 lug.........:jester:

Joel, I sent ya an email

Last edited:
As brett mentioned, i'm buildin a rodeo 44. And he also nailed it when he said that calipers are expensive... more money than what i payed for the whole friggin axle I lucked out and found some calipers at a yard.

I think its the best option to match up a 6-lug front - if you can get it cheap enuf. Disc brakes in my book are huge... i hate drums.

On a side note, there is a rodeo 44 sittin at Kilroy's junkyard in grass valley in case any of you norcal boys are interested... minus calipers of course ;)

-jm

HTeK said:
As brett mentioned, i'm buildin a rodeo 44. And he also nailed it when he said that calipers are expensive... more money than what i payed for the whole friggin axle I lucked out and found some calipers at a yard.

I think its the best option to match up a 6-lug front - if you can get it cheap enuf. Disc brakes in my book are huge... i hate drums.

On a side note, there is a rodeo 44 sittin at Kilroy's junkyard in grass valley in case any of you norcal boys are interested... minus calipers of course ;)

-jm

off topic, but how is Kilroy's prices and service? never been there, I usually head down the hill to PnP

91 Jeep Project said:
You are right, Hybrid 30/44s are pretty cool for what they are. Someone local might have one in the works. Superior Alloys and a 30 Spline ARB......... :cool:
if you're going to mess with regearing and upgrading the locker, just put a D44 in. hybrid 44/30s make sense to me only if you already have a D30 geared and locked.

Oh yeah, I agree all the way on that. I am building up a Hp44 to put in. But my buddy has a a d30 with the super 30 kit, so 30 spline ARB and superiors. He also has a spare d30 housing and I have the CJ 30 knuckles on the way. So he has no reason not to do it, at least as far as $$$ goes................ :wierd:

91 Jeep Project said:
But do you think this is a big enough factor to negate the fact that it has 1.5" shafts and to call it no stronger? Most people are gonna be runnin' this on 35's max (I should hope). I don't see this as a big enough issue for me not to swap this in favor of a XJ 44.....

I just wanted to make the point that the necked down shafts are not magically stronger than the shafts of any other D44 out there. They are not D60 strong.

The Isuzu axle is still a great option if you want disks and a 6 lug pattern. I'd buy it if I needed it.

r@m

Will an isuzu 44 bolt up to an XJ or do you have to mod it some to get it in? The local pick and pull near my house have plenty of them to choose from so I was thinking about doing it.

The only "bolt in" D44 for an XJ is one that came out of one. 87-89 XJ/MJ D44s. Every other axle out there will at least need spring perches and shock mounts moved and re-welded. As it is Isuzu 44s are spring under. So there you go.

Back