• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Rear Shocks

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I've been changing out my shocks recently. Got the front ones done just fine but in the rear 3 out of the 4 bolts broke off. I ended up drilling those out and to my surprise they all came out.(I used Titanium Bits) Anyway I'm retapping them but my question is on the passenger side I'm able to get my fingers to the welded nuts on top, but on the drivers side I can't(or not easily.) Should I replace the nuts on the pass. side and/or try to do the driver's?
Thanks,
Collin

If you drilled them straight enough, and the welded nuts aren't loose, I'd try retapping first, though it's a PITA to get a tap up there. I did this on mine by welding a long L-shaped handle to a 5/16 coarse tap. It was worth sacrificing the tap to get the easy reach. There isn't a great deal of stress on the bolts, so it doesn't seem to matter if the threads in the nuts are a little sloppy. But others have had success slipping in new nuts instead, so I'd go with whatever looks easiest in the circumstances. One possibility if you're equipped might be to find some thick pieces of steel that can be drilled and tapped that you can slip in in place of nuts. Shaped right, they would provide their own handle so you wouldn't need a wrench to hold them.

you can punch the welded nuts through and remove them. then you can attach a wire to a bolt and feed it through the hole where the nut was and let it hang dowm. then you can use it as a stud and use a nut to hold the shock in place

I think I'll go that route. Tried tapping and that didn't work sweet. Thanks guys.

Back