• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF4 or DexronIII/Mercon in my select-trac

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
I am confused. My manual recommends DexronIII/Mercon in my NP242 but the mechanic at the Crysler dealership told me ATF4. Who do I listen to. I think that the manual should be correct. I own a 2000XJ Sport.

I was considering synthetic but the mechanic told me it would make the transfer case noisier. Is this true. If the transfer case is not picky why run synthetic?

Logistics. If you keep the as few fluids as possible, that's less you have to remember when you go shopping.

The AW4 is picky about fluids - it don't much like sythetics. Keep the same thing in the tcase, and you don't have to worry about getting them crossed.

Besides, it's not like there are a whole boatload of moving parts to worry about in the tcase - it many ways, it's much simpler than your AW4 (or most manuals...)

5-90

I have heard of "mechanics" at Chrysler/Jeep dealers telling customers to use ATF3/ATF4 in the AW4 tranny, too. That doesn't make it right. While I agree that the transfer case is not as picky as the transmission, it's probably better to go with the fluid recommended by the manual. The dealerships push ATF3/ATF4 because that's what Chrysler auto trannies run, so they buy that stuff in bulk -- by the barrel. So that's what the mechanics are accustomed to seeing. The good Jeep dealers also stock the Dexron in bottles for use in the vehicles that require it. The not-so-good dealers use the ATF4 even though it's the wrong stuff, and charge the customer the same as they would charge for using the right stuff.

Thanks. The "mechanic" was not a person I would put my faith in that is why I wanted to ask you guys. I was a bit concerned with how my Selec-Trac was working(not engaging/disengaging very well) so I thought I would bring to an actual Jeep dealership. He tried to tell me in two wheel drive the front wheels will still bind on pavement. He also told me I should use Part-time on dry pavement. I will not go back. Very dissapointed with the lack of knowledge I found in that shop.

Shifty said:
Thanks. The "mechanic" was not a person I would put my faith in that is why I wanted to ask you guys. I was a bit concerned with how my Selec-Trac was working(not engaging/disengaging very well) so I thought I would bring to an actual Jeep dealership. He tried to tell me in two wheel drive the front wheels will still bind on pavement. He also told me I should use Part-time on dry pavement. I will not go back. Very dissapointed with the lack of knowledge I found in that shop.
Yep, sounds like you found a terrible dealer...or at least a terrible technician.

Where in NB? I need to annotate it in my GPS software in case I need maintenance done on the way through to NL.

r@m

I run mobil-1 atf in my XJ's 231 and both TJ's 231's, in my case it made shifting them into 4lo so much easier. Reminds me, time to go shoot the linkages with lube, don't want any issues now that it's getting colder out nor do I want to go underneath them for the same reason...

I just changed fluid in my 2000 and the dealer recommended atf4. I used the dexronIII/Mercon. Mercon is for mercury's/ford i believe. Anyway, the atf4 is what they put in the transmission and trans case if they come in for service. I would still put in dexronIII. It's what the manual calls for so it makes sense. I haven't had any issues since the fluid changes and it seems to actually have less vibes than before even though it's a barely noticable difference.

Heres one for you If you are nervious about the fluid just run Amsoil in it I have it in my T case and it works just fine. The ATF that Amsoil puts out meets all the other requirments of Dexron mercon and the rest.

Back