• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Pitman Arms?

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think about drop pitman arms? are they ok or is it better to go with a steering conversion. I'm not considering either at the moment but i was talking to a kid who was. I told him the drop pitman arm puts a lot of stress on the subframe, especialy the longer ones. what is your opinion?

Your drag link needs to be parallel to your trackbar or you'll end up with nasty bump steer. I have around 7" lift with Currie steering and I have a ZJ pitman arm (3/4" drop or so) because it matches my draglink with my RE HD trackbar and bracket. That's the only reason I needed it. If you drop your pitman arm 3" (for instance) you should have a plan to deal with your trackbar angle, too.

my opinion, and I believe it matches the general consensus, is that a ZJ arm is fine with the 1" drop it provides, but something like the Skyjacker arm which drops 3 or 4 inches is too much and will put too much stress on the steering box and frame.

Back