• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bars with a lift...

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I currently have a 3" Rusty's AAL kit on my 98 XJ. I plan on putting a 1.75" spacer kit on top of that to boost me up to how it was before it settled, plus a little extra. Is there any chance that I'm going to be able to fit the stock swaybars on or am i going to have to buy some extended sway bars? I would go and look for myself but I can't get at my jeep for a few days, and wanted to order it before then. Thanks for any advice or general comments lol I need all the help I can get.

The stock swaybars are fine, it's the swaybar endlinks that are too short, and will be for your 4.5" of lift. Time for some disconnects.:D

As much as it dissappoints me to have dc's lol just gotta add em to the list lol thanks

those brackets will "work" but they drop the entire assembly down lower... for a street driven rig i'd say they will probably serve a TEMPORARY purpose... but any wheeling with any increased angle on the stock end links will break the stock links pretty quickly.. spend a few $$ and do it right the first time.. you dont need disconects.. RE has extended fixed-length end links that i run on my 3.5" lift daily driver.. sway bar works properly and i can still unbolt them for more flex if needed..

Get the RE brackets ,they also move the bar forward!You will still need some longer links.

Ok yeah i figured as much, they dont even look solid but i wanted to check first... ok definately dc's in the front, im assuming a set for 4" would work. What about for the rear?

Just take off the rear sway bar all together. The stiffness of the new packs will more then make up for the loss of a rear sway bar, so you won't feel much if any difference. Most people that offroad remove the rear sway bar for good. I know i did.

The problem with taking them off is that my jeep is my DD, so Its still gotta handle good on the road, unless its a sure thing really of the springs being enough to control the body roll in the back... any other thoughts on taking the backs off completely?

Well i'm sure others will chiime in here soon enough. But mine is also a daily driver and i don't have EITHER sway bar on, front or rear. Now i know thats not a good idea, but i have gotten used to it and don't notice it at all anymore, but with only the rear off it would be completely safe, the upcountry package XJ's even came from the factory without a rear swaybar.

along with atfrith i dont have either front or rear swaybars and my XJ is a daily driver. id recommend taking off your rear for sure then getting discos for the front.

btw - atfrith, this is steve from JF

I have those rustys drop brackets and 4.5" of lift. they suck. they dont slide far enough forward so the ends of the sway bar where the end links connect come really close to the coils. my friend also has them and his sway bar does hit the coils. might as well buy the disconnects now if you can because these would just be temporary and you would end up spending more money. plus you may have one or more of the bolts that hold the sway bar onto the subframe up front break of when installing them. then you get to drill it out and tap the new hole. this happened to me but only with one bolt.

toss the rear you wont notice it gone and get some discos upfront

atfrith said:
Well i'm sure others will chiime in here soon enough. But mine is also a daily driver and i don't have EITHER sway bar on, front or rear. Now i know thats not a good idea, but i have gotten used to it and don't notice it at all anymore, but with only the rear off it would be completely safe, the upcountry package XJ's even came from the factory without a rear swaybar.

Yup, the up country came with no rear swaybar so you can just toss it. Removal of the front... well that's a whole topic in itself. I'd have to say though that in general it's (front's) removal is a bad idea.

drove without mine for months, sure it was liveable but and it rode nice, but in an emergency situation it would be bad. got some discos now

why does everyone post that they run without a front bar and say its no big deal?? i myself honestly run without front and rear, and at 5.5" its SCARY on the highway!!!!!! it leans like a stagecoach.. the soft flexy RE coils are very predictable in how they react and i most certainly have gotten used to how it rides but that doesnt increase the margin of saftey... get some front discos and forget the drop brackets.. a call to any lift manufacturer will give you the recommened length of disco-link for different lift heights..

It's not a race car (xj) so you really don't need rear swaybar. I drove for awhile without front one, it was ok. but recomend keeping it if you drive on the street 80% of the time. Just make your own quick disconects. search around there are plenty easy ways to make it happend.

Ok I figure I can do without the back ones, definately discos up front cause I drive 1.5 hours to work one way every day. Now all the ones Ive looked at have been 3-4" lift, 6" lift, etc, nothing for 4-5". Im figuring 3-4" would fit ok cause the stock are fitting fine at 3", so the tolerances arent that exact. any thoughts? and I assume you dont "legally" need a rear sway bar...

theres enough play in the up and down of the sway bar so it does not have to be exact, or especially close. i run ones that are for an inch maybe a little more higher lift than waht i have and there fine. they do have some adjustment in them though, that being key to fine tuning it

Ok looks like I have a good plan to go on now, thanks for all the help! Can anyone think of anything else I might run into doing this, or should I be good to go, in theory anyways lol

Back