• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap place to get plasma torch handle

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I've just finished a design for a DIY plasma cutter. Rather than make a custome torch setup, I want to use an off the shelf plasma torch handle so I can easily get consumables. Anybody have a cheap source or a used one they want to part with.

old_man said:
I've just finished a design for a DIY plasma cutter. Rather than make a custome torch setup, I want to use an off the shelf plasma torch handle so I can easily get consumables. Anybody have a cheap source or a used one they want to part with.
amazing...i was just googling around on how to do this. Im cheap. not sure where to look for the deal on the handle, but keep us posted on how it works!

Old Man, Would you mind sharing your plans? I’d love to get my hands on a plasma torch, but $500 is the cheapest I’ve seen them. I’ve been spoiled; I got to use a 35-amp plasma torch to do some cutting. Nothing else even compares.

I've got a lot more testing to do, hence the need for a handle. The problem with plasma torches is that they are by their nature capable of killing you. They run with around 400 volts at the tip and the ignitor can go as high as 10kv. I want to make sure the design is stable before releasing it. I have done the electrical design and will be laying out the pc board shortly. I'm thinking of offering it somewhat like an old Heathkit. Not to make money, but to control the components that go into it. If you don't understand electronics, you could pick a component that sounds like it would work, but would explode like a greanade under use. This is still a couple of months off.

One of the options I am looking at building in is the capability to run it from your jeep battery.

If you can figure out how to make a plasma torch run off of 12 volts you truly are godlike. Once the design is finalized and you get ready to start offing “kits” please advertise here. I’m sure people will be beating your door down for them. I certainly want one. On a slightly different note, but the same theme; my grandpa has told me stories about using an “air arc” to cut thick metal. From what he described, it sounded like a stick welder with a cutting rod coupled with an air compressor nozzle of some sort. I haven’t been able to find one anywhere and I’ve only ran across a couple of old timers that knew what I was talking about. Have you ever seen any thing like that? I already have a stick welder and an air compressor, if I could find the handle/nozzle attachment I’d have a poor mans plasma torch. It would be pretty easy to run a set up like that off of a battery. Several companies offer on board air and a couple make on board welders. It would just be a matter of coupling the two and throwing in a dryer for the airline. With an air compressor, welder and plasma torch you’d have a mobile fabrication shop :D

Wiley Coyote said:
If you can figure out how to make a plasma torch run off of 12 volts you truly are godlike. Once the design is finalized and you get ready to start offing “kits” please advertise here. I’m sure people will be beating your door down for them. I certainly want one. On a slightly different note, but the same theme; my grandpa has told me stories about using an “air arc” to cut thick metal. From what he described, it sounded like a stick welder with a cutting rod coupled with an air compressor nozzle of some sort. I haven’t been able to find one anywhere and I’ve only ran across a couple of old timers that knew what I was talking about. Have you ever seen any thing like that? I already have a stick welder and an air compressor, if I could find the handle/nozzle attachment I’d have a poor mans plasma torch. It would be pretty easy to run a set up like that off of a battery. Several companies offer on board air and a couple make on board welders. It would just be a matter of coupling the two and throwing in a dryer for the airline. With an air compressor, welder and plasma torch you’d have a mobile fabrication shop :D
sounds like carbon arc gouge method...
it does exist, but it isn't clean which in addition to better technology a plasma cutter is far superior.
all things considered...trail wise and mobil intent...a small bottle of acetylene+oxygen and the proper torch...instant cuts up to 1 inch.
sounds like some great ideas about to happen though.
best of luck to y'all.

Back