• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jacks for Lifted Vehicles??

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
I was out playin last sunday when a buddy of mine in a F250 got stuck. We need to lift his truck up off the stump that his front got caught on. Well it made me think, what if I got stuck or got a flat tire??? Where do I go to get a portable jack that can accomodate a 5" lift kit??

You may want to look into getting a HiLift jack. A 48"er will run around $50. It's a must for any lifted vehicle.

hi-lift makes a "hook" attatchment that hooks to the holes in your wheel to lift it without flexing the springs.. work for geting un-stuck.. obviously need another method to change a tire.. bottlejack has its place too..

My_Little_Pony said:
I was out playin last sunday when a buddy of mine in a F250 got stuck. We need to lift his truck up off the stump that his front got caught on. Well it made me think, what if I got stuck or got a flat tire??? Where do I go to get a portable jack that can accomodate a 5" lift kit??
I carry two:
1. a fairly tall bottle jack that allows me to change the tire easily (hilifting to change the tire on the side of the road is not the best idea)
2. hi-lift for recovery purposes

I have a hi-lift jack and hardly ever use it. You will notice on an XJ there aren't many places you can jack the vehicle from with the hi-lift unless you have aftermarket bumpers or rocker gaurds. I have rocker gaurds but you have to jack it up kinda high before tha tires come off the ground. I find I use the factory jack WAY more than the hi-lift (not sure why I even bought it). For when I get a flat on one of my 35" tires, I place a 4x4 wood block under the jack and lift the axle up with the factory jack untill the tire leaves the ground. If I'm hung up on a rock, I jack the axle up using the same method of placing a 4x4 wood block under the factory jack and lift the wheel off the ground to stack rocks under the tire to get free. For recovery, I never offroad alone so there is always someone there to give me a tug.

After thinking about this thread for awhile, I have only one question to ask...... Are you serious? I mean, what the hell are you even doing with a big lift, much less, wheeling, if you don't already know that you need a jack, some jack, any jack.

Scoot back from your computer, put on a coat, and go lay under your Jeep for an hour, and get to know it from a different perspective.

As a compromise, you might consider a bigger scissors jack, such as the one that comes with a 3/4 ton Chevy truck. This is big enough to get a pretty good height, but not too heavy and cumbersome. And of course in a pinch you can put a rock or something under it.

Okie Terry said:
After thinking about this thread for awhile, I have only one question to ask...... Are you serious? I mean, what the hell are you even doing with a big lift, much less, wheeling, if you don't already know that you need a jack, some jack, any jack.

Scoot back from your computer, put on a coat, and go lay under your Jeep for an hour, and get to know it from a different perspective.
Give the kid a break. He's far from the only one.

Couple of years ago I went over to a guys house to "help" him install Rusty's front break line extenders. The guy had another NAC member "help" him install the lift but they ran out of time. Get to the kid's house, and there isn't a tool in the garage. Not even a pair of pliers. Fine, I carry tools, so we use my tools. And my jack. And my 4-way spanner won't fit into the tiny holes on his fancy custom alloy rimes. Neither will his factory spanner. So I asked him what he used to change his tires.

<Deer in headlights look>

Needless to say, I had to install the things with the wheels on the vehicle. This dude had been driving around ... and wheeling ... for two months or more with a jack that wouldn't get his tires off the ground and no way to remove a wheel from the vehicle.

It happens.

Eagle said:
Give the kid a break. He's far from the only one.

Couple of years ago I went over to a guys house to "help" him install Rusty's front break line extenders. The guy had another NAC member "help" him install the lift but they ran out of time. Get to the kid's house, and there isn't a tool in the garage. Not even a pair of pliers. Fine, I carry tools, so we use my tools. And my jack. And my 4-way spanner won't fit into the tiny holes on his fancy custom alloy rimes. Neither will his factory spanner. So I asked him what he used to change his tires.

<Deer in headlights look>

Needless to say, I had to install the things with the wheels on the vehicle. This dude had been driving around ... and wheeling ... for two months or more with a jack that wouldn't get his tires off the ground and no way to remove a wheel from the vehicle.

It happens.

Thanks for the defense story!!! I have lifted my Jeep many times with blocks of 2x4's and the stock jack. I know thats what you need to do. My point was to see if anyone would come up with a certain type of jack that I saw. I don't know what they are called, so I was hoping someone might just say it by chance. It was a long skinny jack (like 3 feet tall), it was yellow, with a pump handle. It goes up, like a ladder. I don't know, hopefully someone will think of it by chance. That was my point to the post, I just liked that idea, it was faster and more efficient then my bottle jack.

My_Little_Pony said:
Thanks for the defense story!!! I have lifted my Jeep many times with blocks of 2x4's and the stock jack. I know thats what you need to do. My point was to see if anyone would come up with a certain type of jack that I saw. I don't know what they are called, so I was hoping someone might just say it by chance. It was a long skinny jack (like 3 feet tall), it was yellow, with a pump handle. It goes up, like a ladder. I don't know, hopefully someone will think of it by chance. That was my point to the post, I just liked that idea, it was faster and more efficient then my bottle jack.
Check the second post for the brand name.

What you seem to be describing is a "trailer jack" or "off road jack". There are many brands, in many differnt colors, but the most reliable is what's in my first post. It's an all around type jack that also can be used as a clamp, winch, or even an emergency entry tool for when you lock your keys in the Jeep. They come in your choice of colors, as long as your choice is red or black.

Back