• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gettin' bigger RE lift, tires, gears, axles questions

Brady's XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.0L 2000 XJ with 4" (down to about 3" now) Pro Comp Lift, 31x10.50-15 XTerrains on 15x8 RockCrawlers, cut-out fenders with Bushwhackers, custom bumper and skidplate, custom exhaust, K&N Intake, JET Stage II Chip, and some other randoms. I have an NP231, AW4, Dana 30 front and 8.25" rear with 3.55 gears.

I am in the Navy and saving up money on a 6-month deployment. I plan on making my XJ much less of a daily driver and more of a rockcrawler in Southern California. I'm looking at the 5.5" Extreme Duty with the new upgrades to the 7.5" coils, 2" lift blocks, the Chromoly Tie Rod, and Adjustable Front Control Arms. I'll also get the SYE and new driveshaft, 4.56 gears (big as I can fit for now in the 8.25"), and plan on 35x12.50-15's. I have several questions if y'all could help or point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot.

1. Has anyone run the new RE 7.5" upgrade on the 5.5" Ext Duty?
2. With the 7.5" upgrade, are there any other steering/suspension/handling drawbacks?
3. What tires can I clear and flex well with the 7.5" and cut-out fenders and what is the recommended BS for the wheels?
4. Can I get away with stock Dana 30 and 8.25" with 35's and 4.56 gears for awhile to save up money for an axle upgrade? Any recommendations on top of the line gear brands?
5. At what point should I upgrade my stock axles (HP Dana 30 and ??? for the 8.25") or swap in new axles? Would you recommend 44's front and rear? If I swapped in 44's or other new axles, what else do I have to consider changing to match up?
6. Should I get the RE "Hack n Tap" SYE and Driveshaft or should I go with Adv. Adapters and Tom Woods CV?

Thanks for any help you can give. I look forward to spending an assload of money soon.

Thanks.

I got my Gear Brand question answered in another thread....Spicer, Superior, or Yukon.

I've answered a lot of my own questions by researching old threads. I'm new to the site and I've learned how much info is already out there.

My only remaining question is about the new RE 7.5" upgrade to the 5.5" XD. Does it cause steering geometry/handling problems? Can I flex 35's with the 5.5" and cut fenders just fine?

Any help is appreciated.

Brady's XJ said:
I've answered a lot of my own questions by researching old threads. I'm new to the site and I've learned how much info is already out there.

My only remaining question is about the new RE 7.5" upgrade to the 5.5" XD. Does it cause steering geometry/handling problems? Can I flex 35's with the 5.5" and cut fenders just fine?

Any help is appreciated.

Hey, sorry I haven't gotten to your email yet. That was a lot of questions.:D

Anyways, for this question, I wouldn't upgrade to the 7.5" springs. The RE 5.5" XD SA kit works great work 35's and 37's. In fact, a lot of the guys I wheel with that have this kit actually lowered it with RE 3.5" ZJ coils instead of the 4.5" ZJ coils, and use the 3.5" leaf packs instead of the 4.5" leaf packs. It's all about fender trimming and bumpstops. I used to have the BW flares, but they got in my way, so I got rid of them, but if you have to have fender flares for state laws, then I would trim the inside lip of them. I am running the 5.5" XD kit with 37" MT/R's on 15x8" rims and 3.25" BS. I flex just fine. Keep your center of gravity low. If you want to run 35's, I suggest the 5.5" XD kit with the spring swap that I mentioned. Here are a few pictures of this setup with the lower spring swap on Dirk's XJ with 35" MT/R's with the same rims I have, and then a few pictures of my XJ with the 5.5" kit with 37" MT/R's:

Dirks:
DohXJ35dweb.jpg

robyn3.jpg

robyn4.jpg

Mine:
100_0045.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0554.jpg

Shoot me another email and let me know which questions you would still like answers to, otherwise, give me a little while to get you the answers to them.:D

If you have the NP231 transfer case, do the Advance Adapters Heavy Duty SYE. If you have the NP242, the RE "hack-n-tap" is fine. I have the 242 with the RE "hack-n-tap" and haven't had any problems with it. I have been running it for a year. The AA SYE replaces the weaker 231 output shaft with a heavier one. The 242's output shaft is already heavier and doesn't need replaced so the hack-n-tap works fine.

Last edited:
It is called Proteckto-Trim 5/8" Black Band Molding. Good Stuff.

I'm running the stock HPD30 and 29 spline 8.25 right now while I am working on my full widths. They are holding up so far, but I don't drive like an idiot. They are good enough for 35's, but I'm not going to take any chances with the 37's, which is why I am working on bigger axles.

GottaBeJeep- looking at that first picture....are those just 3.5 ZJ coils...or are they 3.5" ZJ coils with a spacer? i'm looking at that large black space between the top small diameter wrap and the the coil tower. i ask because i have these coils and want to use them with 33's and without a spacer (if so) they look like they might be too long :tears:

sorry for the highjack Brady

Last edited:
I'm not sure if he put a spacer in there or not. It may be a 3/4" spacer to level the front to the rear, but I'm not sure. What do you me by "they look like they might be too long"? The RE 3.5" kit works for 33's. It uses the 3.5" XJ coils, and we put a 3/4" spacer in just to level the front with the rear. Here is a picture of that setup:

100_0328.jpg

GottaBeJeep- i just meant that they look about right for 35's and i would only be going with 33's. i just am not feeling you on 33's on the RE 3" and 3/4" spacer.......that's the exact setup i'm running now (4.5" bs)with some trimming and i still rub on my 31" BFG AT's at full flex turned( tower,LCA's, flares). how much bumpstop did you add?

again...sorry Brady

That green XJ and this red XJ have the exact same hybrid setup with the RE 3.5" hybrid kit Dirk sells and 33" tires:

100_0702.jpg

The green XJ has 3.5" BS and the red has 3 5/16" BS on the wheels. Added bumpstops in the front were 4" (RE 2" + 2 hockey pucks). After install, trim and bumpstops, we flex the XJ's to make sure trimming and bumpstops are set just right without any rubbing straight or turned. Both the RE 3.5" hybrid and the 5.5" hybrid setups that Dirk sells are kits that we have proven to work very well. Just a matter of getting everything to work together. Your BS is different, so you need to trim and bumpstop according to your setup.

GottaBeJeep- thank you for the reply and info. we need flares where i live so that option is out....so i guess it's all about the bumpstops :doh: . i don't have any....thought they were "travel limiters".

nice looking rigs

You could always trim your fender flares like Eric has with his XJ, and bumpstop from there. Try flexing and take note of where your tires are hitting. Maybe you could trim the inside lip of the fender flares, or cut off the front and rear like Erics:

csprings04.jpg

Good Luck!

No worries about hijackin the thread.....it's good reading for me too.
Let me know what you guys think about the DPG/RE Hybrid kit for clearing 35's. I have to have BW Flares, gotta ticket without them, but my fenders are pretty cut.

Thanks for the help.

Back