• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstops: How Much Extension?

01-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've been searching for what seems like days for an answer and I've gotten tired, so hear is my question:

How much do I need to extend my bumpstops for a 3.5" lift and 31" tires?

I know I should flex to find out how much, but i would like to know what to prepare for. I would like to know how much to extend the rear ones, and also how many hockey pucks to buy for the front.

I will be a 3.5" lift from RE for my 2001 Sport pretty soon.

Thanks alot,
~Jeremy

If you want to be prepared, figure an inch of bumpstop per inch of lift. It's not entirely accurate because of so many factors that work into the equation (lift height, tire size, fender trimming, shock length, wheel size/backspace, etc.) That's about as good as it gets without flexing and measuring. For the RE 3.5" SF kits w/ full leaf packs that my buddy and I have installed, they needed 4" bumpstop to run 33" tires on 15x8" rims w/ 3.5" BS and trimmed fenders.

100_0328.jpg

100_0701.jpg

In my case,3" 31,s I used two hockey pucks per side,glued to the spring pad.For the rear I used the longest factory bump stop for the MJ,these are 117mm tall part #52002078
To my knowledge mine has never flexed enough to bottom out.
Wayne

4" lift 33's trimmed fenders and around 2.5" of bumpstops

Wayne Sihler said:
In my case,3" 31,s I used two hockey pucks per side,glued to the spring pad.For the rear I used the longest factory bump stop for the MJ,these are 117mm tall part #52002078
To my knowledge mine has never flexed enough to bottom out.
Wayne

what he said

also ran a carrage bolt through the center of the hockey pucks. Mounting pads on the axle were kinda rusty so I didn't trust the glue (2 part epoxy). The one I thought would stick didn't and visa-versa. I siliconed the rear 117mm bump stops so the hollow part wouldn't fill with water or mud.

What are some of the ways that people have extended their rear bumpstops?

I know about the square tubing, but what are other options?

~Jeremy

Back