• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Revolver shackles for XJ's?

RE-xtremeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking about buying a set of revolvers for me 01' XJ. My only concern is the lift height they offer if any. Im currently running 34's with 4.5" RE leaf packs with 1 3/4" rustys shackle, will the revovlers lower my rearend?
What else is needed as far as e-brake cables and limiting straps?

I read the install at jeepin.com but i want to see if anyone else has gone this way with 5-6" of lift??

-Mike

BrettM said:
just do it! revolvers are awesome, I ramped 1200 on a 50* ramp!!!
i think there might be a touch of sarcasm here, in case you didnt catch it

So many people talk shit about revolvers, but they are a good way to get a little extra flex. If every thing else is set up right they work fairly well. The only bad thing I have seen about them is they unload on steep down hills. Not the worse thing in the world, just something to keep in mind.

[disclaimer] Just my opinion BUT..[/disclaimer]

If a tire is just hanging, Without ny weight on it, It isnt doing much good. The revolvers dont really allow you to go anywhere you couldnt without them.. But they can improve your RTI.

So droop does nothing? Even if the tire has little/no weight on it doen't a little traction beat it spinning in the air? I guess I don't understand the whole traction thing.

If the tire has no weight on it then its not really even providing stability enough to be usefull. Flex is all well and good but I tried the revolvers on a YJ and, while I did gain in RTI, It didnt help me in the rocks at all. They are nice in that they allow the spring to move more freely. If the spring it trying to exert more downward force then that can help. An unweighted tire doesnt help much just because it touched the ground though.

junkxj said:
So droop does nothing? Even if the tire has little/no weight on it doen't a little traction beat it spinning in the air? I guess I don't understand the whole traction thing.
tires in the air have no traction, unless you have rims shaped like propellors, then the air will help push you forward.

I meant if the tires are on the ground. I thought the no weight comment meant on the ground. If the tires are not touching any thing then then can't provide traction. I meant if they are touching the ground, just with little weight on them. You must think I am an idiot.

junkxj said:
You must think I am an idiot.

no.. he's being a d*ck....

its not all about hanging your rear wheels in the air.. its about keeping ALL 4 ON THE GROUND!!! revolvers are not a miracle bolt-on.. but can help loosen up the rear for some more flex.. my rear doesnt flex for crap, but my front does.. if i climb a front tire over a rock and both front remain on the ground i have traction and stability and the rig stays somewhat level... when my rear climbs over the same rock, the weight and restricion pulls/lifts the opposite rear tire up into the air or pulls the rear of the rig down on the low side and tips the rig... basic physics, it just depends what the opposite front corner of the rig is doing.. if a revolver was used in the rear it would allow more droop.. probably less tipping to the low side, and keep the opposite tire on the ground, or at least closer.. its all about keeping all 4 on the ground and giving better weight distribution... revolvers really show their worth in places like rock gardens AND RTI ramps.. where you need all 4 corners to work together.. not the answer to everyones problems, just one more tool to get your rig dialed in....

Put lockers in front and rear and forget about it. If a wheel comes up, who cares, you still have 3 tires diggin. :laugh3:

I agree with sidriptide. I was thinking about trying revolvers for the same reason. If I could get the rear to droop more like the front, maybe it wouldn't lean as much when the back goes over a rock. At least some of the axle weight would be removed from the equation.

junkxj said:
So many people talk shit about revolvers, but they are a good way to get a little extra flex. If every thing else is set up right they work fairly well. The only bad thing I have seen about them is they unload on steep down hills. Not the worse thing in the world, just something to keep in mind.

Well I've seen a rig bend a leaf spring cause of revolver shackles...... How's that for a reason not to get them?

Will put them on his XJ and had to take them off. It was a strange thing... when he would climb a hill, they would fully extend. It was like they were taking all the force that causes axle wrap from the springs and they had no way to deal with it except to open. It was ugly. He could also lock his front brakes, step on the gas, and and the rear tires would roll forward, lifting the rear the full length of the revolver until they were fully extended.

Harvo has it... I would never use revolvers because you can not control inertia and gravity. A friend of mine was heading down some steep terrain nose first, touched his breaks and they opened up on him almost sending him head over heels...there are better ways to achieve flex as neat as revolvers are...

what would i do to run these would be to built a limiting strap coming from the top of the diff mounting to the body or make a new shock locator that mounts from each side of the frame. that way it wont unload as bad and it will only give you side to side flex. just an idea

Yeah...but by using limiting straps there is no purpose in using revolvers...You need to develope something that would keep them closed but onle allow them to open when forced...like a smart bungie cord or something:)

Back