• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reality Check, Axle Durability

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
33" going to 35"

hpD30, 4.56, lockright, stock shafts, full circle clips on 760x spicers, u bolted pinion, welded tubes, braced LCA brackets, ZJ v8 steering
spare shafts + hubs

D44 rear, 4.56, detroit no spin, stock shafts, u bolted pinion

opinions, breakage?, can i wheel it hard or will i have to go easy? i have the rear setup as described, looking to see if the front will be adequate if upgraded as planned

keep the front from landing while on the gas...ie climbing ledges with gusto, that kind of thing...seen a couple popped intermediate shafts and a few long non disco shafts go bang...I just destoyed the guts of my open d30 with 36's while climbing a hill backwards, not spinning the tires, just good traction...dont know if the ring gear went first or the spider came apart...bad things happened after which ever one went bad first...I rode hard for 2 years with 260's and only broke 3

LouisianaZJ said:
33" going to 35"

hpD30, 4.56, lockright, stock shafts, full circle clips on 760x spicers, u bolted pinion, welded tubes, braced LCA brackets, ZJ v8 steering
spare shafts + hubs

D44 rear, 4.56, detroit no spin, stock shafts, u bolted pinion

opinions, breakage?, can i wheel it hard or will i have to go easy? i have the rear setup as described, looking to see if the front will be adequate if upgraded as planned

Since you live in Louisiana, you'll probably do more mud and muddy rocks than we do in the dry west, so you're set up should hold up better. For the best answer to your question, talk to people who do the same kind of wheeling that you do. 35" tires are definitely on the edge for Spicer shafts and u-joints, but it really depends on your terrain and driving style. Where there is some slippage, like in wet or muddy terrain, it might hold up pretty well. In the dry rocks we wheel in, it would break much more frequently.

You've done what you can, wheel it and see what happens. At least changing an axle with a broken u-joint is quick and simple on a unit bearing front end. Just remember to stop immediately if you break an axle joint, or you risk also breaking the knuckle.

alright cool. im lookin at about $500 to regear the front D30 and put in new ujoints. already have the lockright in from before.

mainly i try to stay out of the big mudholes and do compact, dry clay/dirt trails so that does allow some more slip compared to rock. a couple guys in my club like to live dangerously, they run stock D30's + D35's with 33's and wheel alot. they dont carry spare shafts...

i can get a used D60 front w/4.56 in decent condition for about $1200. but i would need to drop another $700+ on wheels, getting brackets, new hubs, brake repairs, possible d-shaft ... etc....so about 2-3k

i probably just do the D30 for now and hold out for the D60 eventually. dont really think a HP44 would be worth the hassel when a D60 can be started for not that much more.

Last edited:
Just remember what increases the chance of breaking and try not to do it. If you have to give it power, or climb an abrupt ledge, do it with the tires pointing straight....not turned. Even if you're turning up a ledge, straighten out, climb, then turn. Don't give it power or stress it in reverse. Don't pull someone in reverse. Check you're steering stops to be sure you're not turning too sharp for the u-joint.

Happy wheeling, :)

louisiana has more than just mudholes, well not really louisiana but places close do actually have rocks :laugh:

actually of the 3 front axle ujoints I've broken...2 were in the mud snatching other people out(w/33" grabber mt's on)...on was on the hill climbs in the mine pits(w/ 35" generic mts), just turned into the hill so that the left front was the one starting the climb for the whole jeep, applied torque, and bang...for some reason never broke one with 36"s on...so therefore...you can run 36" swampers on stock tiny ujoints with no problems :laugh3:

yotaparts said:
yeah, Lower Arkansas?
and east texas...biggest rock i have seen here was a pile that was left after a road was torn up

Hot Springs, AR...... Gilmer, TX..... Clayton & Poteau, OK....... There's also some kind of wheeling park on I-20 between S/port and Tyler.... It's on the south side of the I-state.. saw it yesterday didn't get the exit # or name.... don't know what kind of wheeling it is... yet........ there are a few places around these parts......

shiloh ridge? mostly mud and some hills. never been but seen some pictures

Haven't been to hotsprings, but Barnwell mountain has some pretty sick terrain. I've scared myself on a dirtbike on some of the level 4 trails. Trail length is a little short, but how far do you need to drive to have fun?

if you think barnwell is sick, you definetly need to go to hot springs. barnwell is great, but hot springs is a whole other thing

LouisianaZJ said:
i saw pics of superlift park in AR (hot springs i think?) looks ridiculous! :D
worth the trip, you gotta go at least once

I am currently running D30 with warn hubs and axles 4.56 gears and detroit, I also am running 35 MTR'S no problems as of yet but it is how you drive I dont beat the sh@# out of my rig it is also a DD. to each there own money and resourses also come into play.

say i went up to an 1/2 ton HP D44 in the front, welded (possible hydro assist + hi-steer later on)
and i went to a radius arm setup...
(if i got a 3/4 ton, 8 lug, probably go with leaves)

and ran some 2" wheel adapters on the D44 rear for pattern/width

i think this setup might not cost THAT much more since i would be able to sell the complete HP30 w/lockright, ZJ steering, RE drop brackets, UCAs for a couple hundie

Could i run 36-37x12.5" TSL or MT tire fairely confidently?

Last edited:
Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisianaZJ

i saw pics of superlift park in AR (hot springs i think?) looks ridiculous!

worth the trip, you gotta go at least once

you can't do half the trails on just one trip :laugh3: if you plan to go stay a few days

LouisianaZJ said:
say i went up to an 1/2 ton HP D44 in the front, welded (possible hydro assist + hi-steer later on)
and i went to a radius arm setup...
(if i got a 3/4 ton, 8 lug, probably go with leaves)

and ran some 2" wheel adapters on the D44 rear for pattern/width

i think this setup might not cost THAT much more since i would be able to sell the complete HP30 w/lockright, ZJ steering, RE drop brackets, UCAs for a couple hundie

Could i run 36-37x12.5" TSL or MT tire fairely confidently?

Check out my thread for info regarding this (What's the best alloy manu, it is currently near the top of the mod section). I got a hp 44/ford 9" and the u-joint of the 44 is the same size as the 30 (297 or 760) so without going to alloy shafts, you shoudn't go bigger than a 35. Even with alloys you shouldn't go bigger than 37's many have said.
Troy

Back