• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D-Shaft Question

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is a 93 without the vacuum disconnect (of course). The shaft spins all the time so it has the nice factory CV to keep things smooth. I'm about to do the RE 5.5 short arm with drop brackets and I am wondering about the front driveshaft.

For a CV to work properly, the diff pinion is supposed to be in line with the driveshaft (front end = no compensation for axlewrap). It's in line now. When the 5.5 inches goes on, the pinion wont really be in line with the shaft anymore.

Is it enough angle to cause vibrations on the constantly spinning shaft or does the CV joint take care of the variance?

Thanks

Harvo said:
My XJ is a 93 without the vacuum disconnect (of course). The shaft spins all the time so it has the nice factory CV to keep things smooth. I'm about to do the RE 5.5 short arm with drop brackets and I am wondering about the front driveshaft.

For a CV to work properly, the diff pinion is supposed to be in line with the driveshaft (front end = no compensation for axlewrap). It's in line now. When the 5.5 inches goes on, the pinion wont really be in line with the shaft anymore.

Is it enough angle to cause vibrations on the constantly spinning shaft or does the CV joint take care of the variance?

Thanks

You'll just have to find out once you put it together. If that RE kit comes with adjustable arms you can play with the pinnion angle(at the expense of castor) untill you minimize the vibes.
Mine was fine at 4.5"s of lift but now with about 5.5"s I can't drive on the freeway with the front shaft installed. However, I have a AX15 and AtlasII which makes for a really short front drive shaft.

Back