• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crash! Hidden Long arm?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
So, you've driven your new rig with this new front suspension for awhile now. What can you tell us about it? Does it handle street driving well? It must work well in the rocks? Why are the long lowers angled in to the center of the rig so much? Have you adjusted the height of the long upper in your mount with at least three mounting spots? Inquiring minds want to know. Jeff

:huh:
:confused1

bretto said:
:huh:
:confused1

URF designed a custom 3 link and have been keeping the details top secret. I think they are working on the bolt-on details before they market it.

-JonK

Kaczman said:
URF designed a custom 3 link and have been keeping the details top secret. I think they are working on the bolt-on details before they market it.

-JonK

Correct, this will be the bolt on kit to have. One's being prototyped for my rig right now. ;)

Edit: Oh, and it's called the "Hidden three link" or "Missing link" kit. :D

Last edited:
Jes- Don't forget to mention that it will be half the price of their 6 link kit. (I hope that wasn't top secret as well.)

JonK

Jes said:
Correct, this will be the bolt on kit to have. One's being prototyped for my rig right now. ;)

Edit: Oh, and it's called the "Hidden three link" or "Missing link" kit. :D

Jes has entered the building. :laugh3: I have to check out your xj. Are you making it to the snow run this saturday to Morman Immigrant? Should be fun. Is URF a company selling stuff yet or mostly prototype stuff? I like the workmanship coming from them on Crash's rig (roll cage/frame rail sleeving/rock sliders) as good as you can do with the XJ design. :)
Troy

Last edited:
Kaczman said:
Jes- Don't forget to mention that it will be half the price of their 6 link kit. (I hope that wasn't top secret as well.)

JonK

Dude, shut up! :shhh:

Big Red said:
Jes has entered the building. I have to check out your xj. Are you making it to the snow run this saturday to Morman Immigrant? Should be fun.
Troy

No, my junk is junk and I don't even have a spare tire(sold it last weekend). I'll be out of commision till at least January.

Well, since one can never tell if you folks are full of hot air or not, I just don't know if you are serious about this being a bolt on kit type of thing with promise for sales. I personally think that it is a custom setup that required a bit of work to get clearance for on Princess II and will probably require just as much customization to go on Jes's rig. So, what I would like to know is how well it works! I would like a little engineering discussion as to how it was designed and why. Is that some sort of trade secret? Geez. BTW, I think it is awfully similar to a Rockkrawler Gen II setup as far as a long arm 3 link. Sure, the links are mounted higher up at both the axle and frame and they are mounted further towards the center of the rig, but pretty close to the RK in design. Jeff

Jes said:
Dude, shut up! :shhh:

No, my junk is junk and I don't even have a spare tire(sold it last weekend). I'll be out of commision till at least January.

I have a spare for you if you want it, actually quite a few spare 35's (5--Goodyear MT's and 3--75% MTRS/1 25% MTR with uneven wear) and a 33 bft mt. Are you redesigning stuff on your rig for next season? Are you going to make it to JV this winter?
Back on topic: Is URF selling stuff to the public yet??? I know they are around Sac from Andy living in Forest Hill and communting with Sean to Sac. :)
Troy

Crashitt's P2 sucks!

Goatman has all kinds of pictures of the missing link hanging on more rocks than we could count last weekend.

But he has a nice sister! Tho she drinks a little too much!

hinkley

Brett, thanks for the link. A few more responses to that since the last time I looked at it. So Andy, care to share your reasons for mounting the lower arms so far in towards the center of the Jeep? Much different than most Long Arms sitting way out UNDER the frame rails. How does the new suspension handle brake dive, emergency avoidance maneuvers, and general pavement and gravel road pounding?Oh yeah, ever get those pics in the disposable camera developed? :) Jeff

Mark Hinkley said:
Crashitt's P2 sucks!

Goatman has all kinds of pictures of the missing link hanging on more rocks than we could count last weekend.

But he has a nice sister! Tho she drinks a little too much!

hinkley

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Brett, thanks for the link. A few more responses to that since the last time I looked at it. So Andy, care to share your reasons for mounting the lower arms so far in towards the center of the Jeep? Much different than most Long Arms sitting way out UNDER the frame rails. How does the new suspension handle brake dive, emergency avoidance maneuvers, and general pavement and gravel road pounding?Oh yeah, ever get those pics in the disposable camera developed? :) Jeff

Jeff, I'll resist the temptation to drive this thread even further off track......at least for awhile. :)

Since CRASH isn't looking, I can share my observations. The goal was to build a long arm that performed well and didn't comprise ground clearance. I believe the lower arms needed to be that far inward to avoid hitting things. There is nothing hanging down on the URF design, hence nothing to get hung up on. Andy drove 10-12 hours pulling a trailer to get to JV, and back, and he had positive comments on how it handled on the highway.

You'll have wait till CRASH shows up here to get his impressions. From all observations, it appears to have worked well.

Oh my, haven't posted in Tech for almost 6 months.

The new system is very good. All solid joints, 5 RE superflexes, and one 1.25" heim up by the transfer case. The handling is very solid and crisp. I am running no sway bar with Skyjacker 8" coils and if the shocks weren't completely trashed, it would be about perfect. That situation should be fixed next weekend when the 7100's go in. The arms have to be inboarded because of their length, to clear the frame on full compression. They are 40" long center to center. Jes's are about 5 inches shorter due to his revised crossmember position.

Compared to the old RE radius arm style system, the 3 link is worlds ahead. No funny anti-squat behavior, no unwanted jacking or unloading on the steep stuff, and I actually hit 75 mph on the dry lake bed in 4th gear and felt very comfortable.

The kit will be available soon, and yes, it does use bolts to hold it all together. Jes and I are working out the options for the kit......it's 95% done. Jes should be able to post some pics soon. Almost ready.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Oh my, haven't posted in Tech for almost 6 months.

The new system is very good. All solid joints, 5 RE superflexes, and one 1.25" heim up by the transfer case. The handling is very solid and crisp. I am running no sway bar with Skyjacker 8" coils and if the shocks weren't completely trashed, it would be about perfect. That situation should be fixed next weekend when the 7100's go in. The arms have to be inboarded because of their length, to clear the frame on full compression. They are 40" long center to center. Jes's are about 5 inches shorter due to his revised crossmember position.

Compared to the old RE radius arm style system, the 3 link is worlds ahead. No funny anti-squat behavior, no unwanted jacking or unloading on the steep stuff, and I actually hit 75 mph on the dry lake bed in 4th gear and felt very comfortable.

The kit will be available soon, and yes, it does use bolts to hold it all together. Jes and I are working out the options for the kit......it's 95% done. Jes should be able to post some pics soon. Almost ready.

CRASH

Now Jes has one and we haven't heard sh!t about it?!? Post pics damnit!
Billy

Yeah we only have seen the pics that were in non tech and they sucked anyways!!!========Kyle

Top secret....patent hasn't been issued yet. Can't go releasing pics and specs....design could get stolen by the likes of ORGS......

CRASH

Back