• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35 - 44 Question

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
Ok Here is the situation. I currently am sitting at 4.5" with a D35 and a transfer case drop (3/4") and no shims. I Just bought a XJ 44 at a junkyard and want to swap it in. Since the 44 yoke length is longer than the 35 will I have problems with driveshaft length? Would removing the transfer case drop help with the length issue?? What about if i remove the transfer case drop and install shims??
Will I have problems and what should I do??

I would think the tcase raise may help with the length but then the angles will be more extreme. When you shim the axle you have to have the tcase and axle parallel with a normal stock set up. Sounds like you would need to have drive shaft work. With all that said and the height you are at, you may be spending too much time/money to try to make it work. You may just might want to hunker down and get the SYE/driveshaft kit.
Brett

I know xj's with a 8.25 have a long/short enough driveshaft to swap in a dana 44 with no other mods. I swapped out my 8.25 in my 91' for a 87' xj dana 44 and reused the driveshaft and u-bolts. But try reusing the driveshafts and see how it works. If it doesn't work/too long then try to get a ds from a boneyard pnp or go to a ds shop and have them cut it down for you. I have 8" lift on my xj with a SYE. The dana 44 and a SYE are always good mods on any modern Jeep.
Troy

Back