• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 piece pan gasket for non-HO same as HO?

5.0 Junkie

NAXJA Forum User
Tried searching and kept finding HO with no mention of a 1 piece for the non-HO. Need to do rear main on the 89 and figured I'd put in a good pan gasket while at it. Are they the same or different?

Should be....the top end is the only thing different, but the block is the same. Maybe some knows for sure.

They're the same - the principal difference between the RENIX and HO engine is found in the cylinder heads, with the raised intake floors (as well as the electronics, but that doesn't matter here for the moment...)

Most of the rest of the parts will swap - in fact, you can convert a RENIX engine to HO with a "top-end" swap and a few sensor changes.

5-90

Thanks!! I'll get one and cross that off the list of leaks I have fixed.

What about the valve cover. I keep reading where some like RTV, some like cork, some rubber. I have used rubber on everything for years. Any input there?

5.0 Junkie said:
Thanks!! I'll get one and cross that off the list of leaks I have fixed.

What about the valve cover. I keep reading where some like RTV, some like cork, some rubber. I have used rubber on everything for years. Any input there?

last one I got I think was cork. RTV the valve cover, not the head, let it set for a little bit, like 15 min or so, and then reinstall and torque down.

The piece of the 4-piece set that fits under the timing chain cover has two "nubs" that engage holes in the bottom edge of the timing chain cover. The newer cover doesn't have the holes because the 1-piece gasket doesn-t need or have the nubs. The instructions with the 1-piece gasket should include how to seal up those two holes.

Back