• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help removing AW4 oil pan

fizassist

NAXJA Member #1052
Hi folks,

I'm changing the tranny filter on my XJ, and I'm having trouble getting the pan off. All the bolts are off, the pan has been drained through the plug, and the pan just won't budge. I've tried light prying with a putty knife and a screwdrive, but no dice. I know I can get it off if I pry hard enough, but I'm wondering where I should do that to minimize damage. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
fiz

I would start by putting in a couple bolts but only tightening halfway. This is to keep the pan from flying off and making a large mess. Then I would take a rubber mallet or similar non-metallic hammer and lightly tap the side of the trans pan until the gasket breaks loose. Once the gasket breaks loose, carefully remove the bolts you just installed and twist the pan off of the trans dipstick tube. Be carefull when doing this because the drain plug will not remove all of the atf in the pan. It will also help if you pull the trans dipstick before removeing the pan. From there proceed as you planned.

Have you disconnected the bolts that holds the dipstick tube to the frame or engine. If you follow the dipstick tube from the side of the tranny pan it is attached somehwere with a bolt that needs to be removed. Once its removed i would just leave and not re attach it.

Pete

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, guys. I got it off finally. The dipstick tube bracket was off already; I think next time I'm just going to pull it off from the top before doing anything with the pan; I didn't realize before I got it off that it was 2 pieces.

Back