• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie leaf springs

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for anyone that is running the Currie 4" leaf springs. I would like to hear your opinion on them as far as ride/duability/flex go.

The ones I am looking at are a 9-leaf pack, with a rate of 165 pounds. They have an english eye and are military wrapped.

Any help is appreciated.

Fergie

Ive asked this question several times over the last couple years,have yet to find someone who has run them!

Fergie said:
Hadnt thought of that. I'll do a search for the forum and post back what info I find.

Fergie

Fergie, those are Jeepspeed springs. No one that I know of runs them on a trail rig. The Jeepspeed guys buy them because of the cushy ride and the long travel. They are a very good spring for Jeepspeed from what info I've seen.

What exactly are you wanting them to tell you? Do you expect the guys running them for racing to tell you they don't like them? Are you expecting them to tell you that they would be good for rockcrawling?

Since they are a good quality spring, and are designed for long travel and a good ride on the rough desert terrain at speed, you'd have to conclude that they will ride and flex well. Think about it......

Goatman said:
Fergie, those are Jeepspeed springs. No one that I know of runs them on a trail rig. The Jeepspeed guys buy them because of the cushy ride and the long travel. They are a very good spring for Jeepspeed from what info I've seen.

What exactly are you wanting them to tell you? Do you expect the guys running them for racing to tell you they don't like them? Are you expecting them to tell you that they would be good for rockcrawling?

Since they are a good quality spring, and are designed for long travel and a good ride on the rough desert terrain at speed, you'd have to conclude that they will ride and flex well. Think about it......

If I posted that, there would be 5 people reporting the post and I would have 13 red thingies.
I love this country.
:roll:

im saving up for the currie leafs for my jeepspeed chase project. they net you (with the currie boomerang shackle) about 12-14" of travel and are designed for jeepspeed. really great design, but if you want a great all around spring check out deaver or national. jeepspeed guys run those as well as lots of trail-only jeeps ive seen/heard about.

Goatman said:

I was thinking that they were marketed as JS springs to make more money.

I am wanting them to tell me if they are really built specifically for JS, or if they are an all around spring for everyday use.

I've already spoken with Paul_S and Mr. Hinkley about springs. I have been told to go with Deaver springs and to stay away from Nationals.

All I am looking for is a good spring pack that has some good durability, doesnt ride like I am sitting on a buckboard, and that will flex enough for me, so I am exploring my options.

Fergie

Fergie said:
I was thinking that they were marketed as JS springs to make more money.

I am wanting them to tell me if they are really built specifically for JS, or if they are an all around spring for everyday use.

I've already spoken with Paul_S and Mr. Hinkley about springs. I have been told to go with Deaver springs and to stay away from Nationals.

All I am looking for is a good spring pack that has some good durability, doesnt ride like I am sitting on a buckboard, and that will flex enough for me, so I am exploring my options.

Fergie

Just curious but what is the reason to stay away from National's?

-Mike L.

Fergie said:
Word of mouth from a reputable, well that depends, person.

Fergie

But did he say the exact reason? They are POS. What? IIRC the old 10/11 leaf springs from ORGS were National's and they were a good spring from word of mouth.

-Mike L.

Mike L said:
But did he say the exact reason? They are POS. What? IIRC the old 10/11 leaf springs from ORGS were National's and they were a good spring from word of mouth.

-Mike L.
No exact reason, just that he would stay away from Nationals from now on.

Fergie

Fergie said:
No exact reason, just that he would stay away from Nationals from now on.

Fergie

Hmm I have 2 friends that just got a set of 10 leaf Nationals and they say they flex and stuff great. Overall they are the best springs they have ever owned. pretty weird. Oh well.

-Mike L.

I think there was a rumor that National was having some problems staying in business, which was likely the source of wanting to stay away from them. Their product seems to always have been good.

Having run National's for 7 years, I would highly recommend them. The only reason I replaced them was that my XJ somehow became too light for them.
I went with Deaver this time because they seem to be much more active in our sprot, & the owner is willing to work with you to fine tune & get you exactly what you want.
I asked him about the Jeepspeed springs he makes for Currie. He said that they are the exact (off the shelf) spring that the Jeepspeed guys are using. He also said that he would rather make a specific crawler spring than put the Jeepspeed springs on a crawler. Nevertheless, if I didn't go custom, I'd have bought Jeepspeed springs before any other production spring on the market. I think they'd work really well in our application. They have full military wrap mains with an antiwrap/English eye leaf.
Paul

Nothing was said about quality of the NAtional springs, just that I shoul stay away.

If I dont go Deavers as you suggested,as well as Hinkley, then I am goint to talk to Jeff at Deaver to get tall the info I can from him on the Curries, but it looks like I'm doing Deavers.

Thanks for the help Paul_S.

Fergie

I run 11 leaf Nationals on my daily driver/trail rig. They sagged a little, but seemed to have settled out at about 4" of lift. Thay are super flexy on the trail and work great on the woops too.

I purchased them used from a JeepSpeed racer to use on my JeepSpeed project, but figuerd I might as well use them on my DD until my JeepSpeed needs them.

Some guys think Nationals are great, but I purchased an expensive custom set from them way back when nobody else made full length replacement packs for the xj and although they did flex well, they also sagged well and never gave the needed amount of lift from the beginning. I have a friend that went through the exact same experience. I modified them repeatedly with flipping overload leaves, adding leaves from other packs, etc. When I built up my '98, I went with a set of cheap '01 Dodge 1500 leaves! Yeah, I did have to totally change the front mounting location due to length and am running them backward and needed to add a block, but they haven't sagged on me and they seem to flex ok. They are perhaps a bit less flexy than I would like, but I am at the point where keeping their ride height is more important to me than super flex. Jeff

Back