• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winches 201......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok got burried the other day in a mud hole. Winch stalled when trying to pull me up and out. Now it clicks but does not move. Anyone ever worked on these things? Can the selanoid be bypassed to test for operation? Do these motors die that easy? It's a Warn M6K..... Any one with real experience with malfunctioning winches got any sugestions?

disengage the winch and try to spool out the cable to make sure that it isn't jammed.
recheck your power connection (usually at the battery terminal) to make sure that it is really good. Sounds like a bad power connection. Maybe corroded?
Good luck!

Thanks DANO... I did get it to disengage yesterday and it would not work still. I pulled the selanoid pack too. I'll clean the connections and reattach today. I can hear one of them clicking but that is it. I may test for votage at the winch b4 reatttaching the leads to it. Any other thoughts if I still get Nothing?

I hate to say it but it sounds like you fried a winding in the motor. Stalling a winch lets the wires get hot real quick to the point they melt. Sometimes you get lucky and all that happens is the solder that attaches the winding to the commutator melts and the wire comes loose.

Dismantle it and give it a good look. Maybe take some pictures.

May be a solenoid. I burned up 3 last year on an m8000. they are pretty cheap

I have stalled my winch numerous times without damaging it. What did you do? Just keep holding the button down, with it sitting there stalled and doing nothing? If the winch stops moving you need to get your finger off of the switch RIGHT NOW!!!

Had you done that, and then used a snatch block (you DO have a snatch block, don't you?) to double the line over, my guess is you would have easily pulled yourself out without doing any damage at all to your winch. As it is, I suspect you may have just learned yourself a several-hundred-dollar lesson.

dmillion said:
I have stalled my winch numerous times without damaging it. What did you do? Just keep holding the button down, with it sitting there stalled and doing nothing? If the winch stops moving you need to get your finger off of the switch RIGHT NOW!!!

Had you done that, and then used a snatch block (you DO have a snatch block, don't you?) to double the line over, my guess is you would have easily pulled yourself out without doing any damage at all to your winch. As it is, I suspect you may have just learned yourself a several-hundred-dollar lesson.
FIrst off you wernt there so dont presume you know what happend. Second when the steering is being cycled and the front is moving and jumping it can be difficult to determine weather the winch is pulling or not. ANd no I did not jsut hold it down. And no I do not have a snatch block yet. That is on the list for christmas! Not everyone here is made of $$$$ or they have other responsabilaties.. ie: family! TY Old man I'll check that after testing to see if the volts are going past the solenoid... If the volts are getting to the motor I'll pull it and see what I find. And as for the lesson yea a new motor is $518 from Warn. I called after I read DANO's post. So an upgrade to a M8K will happen when I can. TY all of those that have posted positive responses. JMHO but dmillion your post is nothing more than SPAM!

[font=&quot]Another thing to look into might be a rewind shop. I have had motors wound that are much bigger than a winch for about $100. Winch motors may be different but it would be worth a few minutes in a phone book.[/font]

Beezil said:
that is incorrect.

I bought a new motor for a 8274 for half that.

Soory Beezil but that is what the guy at Warn told me. Now he jsut said that was the retail price here is a location near you that will sellyou the part. So I may be able to get it cheaper.

Update: I pulled the motor this week. It would not come out after all the cap screws were removed. I had to wiggle and play with it to get it out. Once it was out I discovered why it all failed. The main drive gear broke in 3 pieces and locked the shaft down on the motor. In turn it burnt the copper winds inside. I have seen some motors on ebay but noting like what is on my winch. These are the numbers on it.

American Bosch
4348720MO48HM
12V

I am begining my search for a replacement motor or M8K... TY guys.

Dmillion, no I'm not touchy but this is a tech forum not the Den! I'm sure ihave done post like that but I at least TRY to give a littel tech in my ribbing! And like Mark said, It depends on who is doing the touching! LOL!

Back