• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roll cages

triple 4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 86 xj 4 door, I want to put a cage in it, put I have no idea on how to ancore it to the frame. I was thinking of useing 2 in sch 80 pipe. If any one has any pictures of how they ancored it, and any design ideas. And I want to cut the back end of to, will I need any subframe supports so it wont buckle and bend on me? Any Ideas will be helpful.

Pipe = big no no

First, you should do a search, this subject has been gone over so many times, you'll find a wealth of info. Then check back with more specific questions. Good luck and have fun.

I'd rather have a pipe cage built by a pro than a chromo cage built by a novice

good pipe has the same tolerances and specs as HREW.

there's nothing inherently wrong with pipe, just a lot of jackasses in the past that have given it a bad name by bending it with crappy benders and using hardware store pipe.

There are a few pics of my cage HERE from Pirate. I used 4x8 1/4" plate, and I welded it over the unibody rails when possible.

I think the slickest frame tie-in has been accomplished by the folks at URF.

do a search on "URF" or "U.R.F."

(this message paid for by URF)

there isnt anything wrong with pipe but sced 80 might be a little overkill. nhra and nascar only require .120 (1/8") wall tube and sced 40 pipe is close to 3/16" wall you would save alot of weight and money useing it instead and stll be more than strong enough. as for mounting i have used 1/4" plate inside and under the floorboard to sandwich the sheet metal but they should be different sizes to prevent a shear point the ones under the floor could then be welded into the "frame rails" and possibly used for rock slider mounts also.......just my two cents worth

I welded some short stringers from the botttom backing plate to the frame.

Boatside_Pass.sized.jpg

-Jon

I have a DD and am looking into a cage also I like the D&C cage but what else is out there

im deciding between the essentially off road standard kit so i can use my back seat, or the D and C but the d and c seems like i would have to add to it. I just want the cage to come ready for bolt and weld. my 2 cents says i dont like how the barnett one ronbo put up has no spreaders and mounts to the rear wheel wells. Is that no good? Im really in between decisions so any suggestions would help.

xjrugger said:
(snip) my 2 cents says i dont like how the barnett one ronbo put up has no spreaders and mounts to the rear wheel wells. Is that no good? Im really in between decisions so any suggestions would help.

From talking to T&J, their kits are designed to offer a good foundation for upgrades, as it fits each individual. Not a one stop shop though.
T&J builds many of the Jeepspeed rigs, and have far more tubing added than the race kit pictured, but still retain the basic shell.
I'd call Mike Barnett, he's a good guy. Tell him what bugs you, he likes to talk XJ.

Back