• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swampers to choose

xjrugger

NAXJA Forum User
for on and off road i want radials.
should i do tsl radials or ssr radials?
whats better in inclimate weather?
which has stronger side walls?
which is heavier?
which is better for wear?
what do u have or would choose?
they will be size 36x12.50 on 15x8 rims
and also what about irok radial 36x13.50(although i think is too wide)?

I have heard horror stories regarding ssr sidewalls. I have seen radial tsl's kick some ass, and not look back.

Personally i would still go biased, its not bad at all, the super thick sidewalls dont flex onroad and handle great, the only down side is you get flat spotting for all of 4 minutes of driving. They will all get about the same mileage, as the biased have deeper lugs.

Irok radials are supposed to be pretty good on the street. I run older 4 ply biased 36x12.5s and they have a softer sidewall than most tsl's but hvae sold me on never going back to radials on a dual duty truck

I run the tsl radials and don't have any complaints. They ride way better than my buddies bias tsl's. and after a few months of driving my 36's are taller than his 38's.:D I went with the radials because it's my dd but you can typically get a size bigger in the bias for the same price as a smaller radial.

not in pa for some odd reason radials are cheaper, iknow it sounds screwy but when i was pricing them over the summer that was the case.... prolly cuz the guys up here really dont run them do to how we go through anythings sidewalls

I've got five of them .....but you can't have 'em! :laugh3:
Actually they are really noisy on the road but climb really well off road. They did great in Moab during the October event. I could air them down to 4 psi and they would really stick.

i run TSL radials. obviously with so many different models there are goin to be differences in each tire, wear, ride, etc. you will have to compromise when runnin a mud tire on road. cut Boggers are probably the best or tied with IROC's for off road traction. But, boggers are REAL LOUD on road, my guess is Iroc's will wear real fast as will most Swampers on road. if you rely on keepin up on the trails then go as aggresive as you can. if it's mostly a dd, then radial of some sort for sure..... you could do what i do, run street tire on road and swampers off road, hey it works and yes it is a lot of work. they say a little hard work never hurt anybody, but why take the chance!!!! ha ha ...

I had 33x12.50x15 tsl radials on my 94' yj with a lot of lift. I got it that way from the previous owner and never ran it that much. They are pretty loud on the road, but do good off-road. For a dd tire and a weekend warrior go with the tsl radials, also they are priced cheaper than the ssr. I always wanted 36x12.50x15 on that yj. I ended up trading for a 85' Cj full width with 37 mtrs and put my 35" mtrs from my xj on it for the trade. Then I got some 35" pro comp xt on my xj now. Best tire I have owned is the Goodyear MTR, but as far as swampers go the tsl radial is good price and what you get. If you want the best off and a somewhat liveable on road drive the tsl sx tires are good or the irok bias ply. The boggers are just crazy to drive on the street and even off-road in all put the muddiest nasty terrain where they work their best. The SS has really added some dept lately, but the TSL is the original and still plain works.
Troy

Go radials! You will be much happier in the end. I have had all 3 right now I have bias plys 36"s and they pretty much suck on the street. They go great off road, but they will shake your teeth out for the first 5-10 minutes of driving. I got real good tread were out of the radials.

sold fellas! i just ordered the 36x12.50 tsl radials. what i want is dd with weekend warrior for the trails and everybody is pointning the direction of the tsl radials. im getting 400 for my 4 bfg old style mtr's which have 90% life left. and one all terrain spare (all 35x12.50x15.) and buying the new at 1070 for all 5, so i get 5 swamps for 670, thats not bad right? oh and i bought the old ones at a skully's deal of the century price b/c the guy bought tires first and not a lift, and then never got the lift.

-mike

Back