• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible bent dana 30 axle housing?

snow drifter

NAXJA Forum User
99'High pinion 30 front. Went wheeling a couple weeks ago, CO. trail. Dropped down into the trees very tight and steep trail with rocks and snow and mud. Finally got down to the bottom and got turned around. Had a HELL of a time getting back out of there and had to hit it pretty hard for about 200 yards. Since then when I engage 4wd, I get a grinding sound from the front. Whatever slides in there is only engaging partially. I then take it out of 4wd and after a few tries it finally conects. This has only happened 2 or 3 times. Besides that it drives normally and does still go into 4wd. Bent axle? Problem with the vacuum accuater? Bent axle housing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks :repair: Also, I checked all the hoses from the black vacuum ball in the front and nothing is disconected or damaged.

Last edited:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the vacumn disconnect axle was discontinued long before your rig ('94 I think). Your axle is permanently engaged so if the grinding noise is coming from the axle it would have to be some sort of internal issue with the diff. I'd check all front u-joints (axle and DS), the and the hubs just to rule them out, but aside from that pull the diff cover and look for carnage.
Might want to check the DS slip joint as well. I have no Idea if it's common to strip the splines in one but I'm sure it is possible.

if it were the front diff you would have some serious issues in 2wd. I would be more inclined to say t-case, mine has just started doing that, but after I took off my front driveshaft it quit. it started off low and got louder and louder. I couldnt even hear it in 2wd untill I pulled up the floor covering, and in 4wd I thought it was going to explode. I am going to re-itterate that it is probably not the front axle, might be the u-joints, and probably is the transfer case. as it sounds like something is binding when 4wd is engaged. Do a search for chain.

Thanks guys, I will check the front u joints and driveline. I have 5 inches of lift so the driveline might be it. Would my transfer case already be having problems? Man, I hope not, a 99' and I just turned over 100k. I'll check everything and get back with an update thanks.

After checking out the entire front end, ball joints driveshaft, axle, u-joints, it is the transfer case. 4WD was only partially engaging, if that makes cense. My 1" transfer case drop makes the engagement somewhat difficult and I don't think it was going into 4 all the way. Thanks

snow drifter said:
After checking out the entire front end, ball joints driveshaft, axle, u-joints, it is the transfer case. 4WD was only partially engaging, if that makes cense. My 1" transfer case drop makes the engagement somewhat difficult and I don't think it was going into 4 all the way. Thanks
I had the same problem when i droped my transfer case had to adjust my linkage.

Back