• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Used gears a good idea or bad idea?

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched for the answer to this question but have come across many differing opinions. Generally, the main complaint about used gears seems to be loud gear noise. I want to go to 3.55s from 3.07's and I know I can find "pick-your-part" gears for relatively cheap, or about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of new gears. What do you guys think? Should I just save and get new gears or go with some used gears with questionable mileage? What kinds of trouble am I looking at with used gears?
Thanks in advance,
Brent.

why just 3.55, 3.73's can readily be found and you can also come across 4.10's

3.55s with my 31's will bring me slightly lower than stock 3.07's with stock 215's. 99% on road driving, some offroading, but mostly just logging trails to good fishin holes. I don't think I want to go any lower. Got any reasons I should think otherwise?...cuz I'm still in the planning stages here.
B.

I'm going to have to chime in with "don't get used gears" because the noise is just a huge pain in the butt...you may not have any, but it sounds like it's pretty common to have noise. I'm likely going to get new 4.56s for my D44 soon because the noise is almost intolerable, and that's coming from a guy who's half-deaf!

i think its a good idea, to save money for a trail rig... pop 4.10's and a 4:1 then your crawl would be fine

worried about noise and reliability

i know how many times my diff oil has been changed, dont know about the XJ at pic and pull...

just swap the whole axle, it would be more work to pull the R&P, then you gotta pay to get them installed. to save some money, just pull the housing with the gears, not shafts, brakes, hubs, etc (unless you want them as spares).

I would only setup used gears in a front axle that has a disconnect or locking hubs. I put (actually CRASH did most the work :laugh3: ) used 4.88s in my front D44, but I have lockouts so it doesn't spin on the street, and I only lock them in 4low, so they see no high-speed use at all.

Thanks for the replies related to gears, any answers to my questions?
Some replies to the responses so far:
1. I have no interest in a trail only rig at this point in time.
2. I don't want to switch out my entire axle (for those of you who followed the Lincoln 9" thread, I sold it for a huge profit a week ago.)
3. I can get them installed and set up as many times as I want for free, so money for the install is not an issue, just the cost of the gears.
Thanks again,
B.

I have set up probably about a half dozen sets of used gears. I was able to get all but one set to run pretty quiet. The one set has shot pinion bearings. A lot of it has to do with the setup process. I have an old trick. I like to get a pattern on the old gears before pulling them from their donor housing. I then try to match that pattern on the final setup. The problem is that many times used gears are already pulled. The trick then isn't to try and get a perfect match but look at the wear pattern and try to match it to the wear pattern.

Beej said:
Thanks for the replies related to gears, any answers to my questions?
Some replies to the responses so far:
1. I have no interest in a trail only rig at this point in time.
2. I don't want to switch out my entire axle (for those of you who followed the Lincoln 9" thread, I sold it for a huge profit a week ago.)
3. I can get them installed and set up as many times as I want for free, so money for the install is not an issue, just the cost of the gears.
Thanks again,
B.

Well 4.10 31's and a MT doesn't make it a trai only rig. I admit you will pull higher RPM's on the highway. Also, other than a D30 up front, what rear are you planning on re-gearing? You say the labor for setting up the gears is free, but don't forget about the bearings. Unless your planning on reusing these also.

you should be able to pick up stock 3.55 geared axles for about $50 a piece.

you should be able to find a 3.55 D35 for free from someone who is upgrading, i got one sitting in my driveway waiting to get stollen. you cant even give these things away...

Thanks again everyone. I don't know why I did not post it, but I have a front D30 and a rear 8.25. Its a 97 SE four door with manual tranny and 231.
Chuck: I had not thought about bearings, I guess I was planning on reusing them, but is this something I should be replacing no matter what?
Brett: good points in both posts, I wish I could pick up a used axle for 50$! Even american dollars would be way cheaper than what I would be dealing with up here. XJ's are common, but not that common. To give you an idea, the pick your part here has an 8.25 axle drum to drum with 200000kms on it for $550. That's the cheapest one I have seen in my area. I sold that Lincoln 9" for $750 bucks after paying $100 cash, and I did not even touch it before reselling.
Old Man: thanks for that tip, pretty clever, but as you say, unfortunately where I will be buying the gears they are already pulled.
What other kinds of problems will I be looking at if I buy used gears as opposed to new gears?
B.

You need to come to Calgary. There are always XJs at the local you-pull-it. Usually going for about $80CDN each. I actually have D30/D35 combo I'm selling with 3.55s but unfortunatly you need a 8.25 rear I guess?

The thing with used gears is they are harder to setup, because you have to get the pattern to match the old pattern, or they will be loud.

You can get brand new Dana gears and master install kits for about $250 an axle. I think it's worth it.

For your 31s, I'd look at 3.73s.

Take a look at this chart.. it'll give you an idea http://northern4x4.com/cool stuff/gear chart.htm

Last edited:
BTW I was running a MT with 31s and 4.10s and it was my daily driver as well. It was great offroad and still had no problems doing 70+MPH on the highway. 5th gear actually had some pulling power. I think when I worked it out 3.73s would put it back to stock but its so overdriven in its stock form anyway that 4.10s is a better choice, even for driving on the street. I wouldn't bother with 3.55s

cLAYH said:
You need to come to Calgary. There are always XJs at the local you-pull-it. Usually going for about $80CDN each. I actually have D30/D35 combo I'm selling with 3.55s but unfortunatly you need a 8.25 rear I guess?
I have family in Calgary and in Sask(Go Flames!), so I have checked throughout BC, Alberta and Sask. The cheapest one I found in Calgary was $1000.00. Even the D35s in Alberta started at $700.00. If you can find me one for $50, or even less than $200, I will make it worth your while!
B.
PS, clay, I have a manual tranny, and hence am starting out with 3.07s. 4.10s would be way to low for what I want. 4.10s would be the stock ratio equivalent with 37s! Way too low for my usage.

BrettM said:
there's a lot more to it than equivalent ratios. I used to have a manual, 33s, and 4.10s and I wanted 4.56 or 4.88 bad. I hardly ever used 5th. 3.73 or 4.10 would be best for 31s and a manual.
I have wondered about this. Would you indulge me with a bit more detail? What else comes into play? As I posted above, I am still in the planning stages, and am open to advice.
Thanks,
B.
PS, did the 8.25 ever come with 3.73s? I have not seen them, although I see from some manufacturers that they offer 3.73s for the 8.25.

hey beej do u live near kelowna?
go there a lot and like to wheel around there when the family goes up there, nice area
but anyways related to your question i run 4.56 gears and my ones in my rear dana 35 are used. I had no problems and its silent but i got lucky. you can get a great deal on gears, install kits, carriers, the stuff you will need threw Rawbrown a member on here. I would say go threw him and buy new!

dellstopjeep said:
hey beej do u live near kelowna?
go there a lot and like to wheel around there when the family goes up there, nice area
but anyways related to your question i run 4.56 gears and my ones in my rear dana 35 are used. I had no problems and its silent but i got lucky. you can get a great deal on gears, install kits, carriers, the stuff you will need threw Rawbrown a member on here. I would say go threw him and buy new!
Actually, I'm on Vancouver Island, but my wife's family is originally from the Okanagan region, just south of Kelowna. I have a couple of friends there though. It is a really nice area to run in, tons of public lands and fun terrain. There has been a Jeep Jamboree at Apex Alpine Ski area in the summer for years. I love wheeling the island though, from sand dunes to rocks to mud to snow all in one day!
B.

Back