• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft ???'s w/ RE 4.5" super flex

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing a RE 4.5" super flex kit on my 89 pioneer w/ 242 t-case. It came with a 1/2" t-case drop but I'm having doubts that it will be enough. Will I need a longer driveshaft, or what are my options? Do I need the RE sye, or a longer drive shaft, or what? Also, will I need axle shims? I am trying to have it ready to go for NACFest03 which starts the 30th, but the more I think about it, the less likely it seems.

Since you have an older XJ, you might be able to get away without either SYE/driveshaft or t-case drop. If I were you I'd try it without the t-case drop and see how it is. If you have vibes then go to the t-case drop next. If that clears the vibes, then you're good to go but I would look into doing the SYE/driveshaft in the near future just so you have a stronger driveline and you can ditch the transfer case drop.

I have the RE4.5" kit on my 2000 and I just installed the SYE and CV driveshaft at the same time.

Thanks for the info. guys, I feel a little bit better about it now. I finished up the front last night, and the I'm going to tackle the rear tonight. There is a place here in town where I should be able to get axle shims if I need them, and I will be making my own t-case drop cuz RE sent me a 1/2" drop instead of a 1". I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again!

Back