• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new tires

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
hopefully ill be ordering my 31 inch retreads soon. i have a stock suspension. The tires i have now rub on the lower control arms at full tun. What should i do to prevent this from happening. Buy some wheel spacers or a new set of wheels with less backspacing. Im trying to do this fairly cheaply as you could probably tell by the retreads so what suggestions do yall have. Thanks

Scott

You need lift to run 31s...Unless you are really willing to cut your fenders up...and I mean really hack them. I was running 31s with a four inch lift and I still had a minor rubbing problem before I got my backspacing figured out.

i am running 235/75/r15 mud trac tires with stock suspension and have a little rub when it starts to flex 31" tires would definately rub probably just going strait or turning i am planning on about 4.5" of lift and bushwacker cutouts before i go to a bigger tire and at least the flares real soon before i take offroading at all

yeah i know its going to rub some, but i ve seen more than a few people with stock suspension and 31s. Im willing to cut and ill prob get some extended bump stops, so back to the question, what would be better wheels or spacers. Thanks

scott

I attempted to run 31x10.5" tires with 15x8" rims and about 4" of BS, I believe thats what it is anyway. The rear was fine, but the front would rub the rear corners of the flares on full turn, but with any suspension compression would rub on the top of the flare. I believe with a stock 15x7, 5.25" BS rim, you could do it, it's also been proven that you can do it.

Im now running and RE 2" BB, which helps for clearance, but it's not the ideal height for offroading, just on road driving. HTH

It does not take alot of trimming to run 31s on a sagging supsension. My girlfriend ran that way on her xj for a multitude of Wheeling trips with no swaybars. The only part i trimmed her jeep was the rear pinch seem.

Why do you mind the rubbing at full lock? Just back your steering stops out a little, it doesnt hurt your turning radius all that much or let them rub, either way its not a big deal

dont disco your swaybar or youl tuck them and wrinkle your front fender. i have a 3inch skyjacker. cut the fenders so my 31s will tuck with no bars. im going up to 33s and another 2inches.

scottsxj said:
lets hear from some of the guys that have actually done this.
A few years ago, I ran 31's for about six months while I waited to pay for my lift. I found that by adjusting the steering stops and doing a "hockey puck" bumpstop adjustment, I was able to run them with minimal/no rubbing on the lower control arms and no rubbing on my flares, although I regularly hit the lower bumpstops. This is a 97SE 4dr. I tried a friend's TJ Gambler rims with 31's for a week and they did not rub the control arms at all (edit: they did however rub the inside upper lip of the fender flares at full stuff). The Gambler's have slightly less backspacing than my steelies. Just to echo the words of others though, it made an enormous difference lifting to 3", I gained a lot of articulation back.
B.

Last edited:
scottsxj said:
yeah i know its going to rub some, but i ve seen more than a few people with stock suspension and 31s. Im willing to cut and ill prob get some extended bump stops, so back to the question, what would be better wheels or spacers. Thanks

scott
Without question wheels are better. Spacers need to be structural quality, and you can buy a set of Rockcrawler steel rimes for probably less than half what a set of good quality spacers will cost.

However, if you're really on a tight budget and if you can live with a slightly wider turning radius, just remove the steering stop and shim them with washers. From in front of the axle, look at the lower leading portion of the steering knuckle and you'll see a bolt with a lock nut on it. That's the stop. The locknut is welded in place, but a flat washer or two under the locknut will move the stop out far enough to solve your problem.

As to running 31s with stock suspension, it may be that all you need is to shim your bump stops. Find NAXJA member Ed Stevens' personal web site (which may be listed in his profile) and read his dissertation on the subject.

Silverstreak01 said:
dont disco your swaybar or youl tuck them and wrinkle your front fender. i have a 3inch skyjacker. cut the fenders so my 31s will tuck with no bars. im going up to 33s and another 2inches.
no you wont... read above post

Heres a pic of my jeep chick.... or her jeep rather unless somebody wants to me to include pic of her....

DSC01569.JPG

DSC01588.JPG
nickystock1.jpg
nickystock2.jpg

thats stock on a saggy rear suspension, with 31s on stock wheels, stock wheels being key to fitment

search for CheepXJ
he's runnin 33" tires on a stock MJ...
and i think 36" tires on a 3" lift XJ...

it all depends on waht you want the rig to look like...
If you want to im sure you could fit 44" tires on stock suspention, just have no body left and re-do all the sheetmetal and sleve the frame rails.. bla bla bla...

rust bucket xj said:
It does not take alot of trimming to run 31s on a sagging supsension. My girlfriend ran that way on her xj for a multitude of Wheeling trips with no swaybars. The only part i trimmed her jeep was the rear pinch seem.

Why do you mind the rubbing at full lock? Just back your steering stops out a little, it doesnt hurt your turning radius all that much or let them rub, either way its not a big deal

the only reason i dont like the rubbing at full lock is just the sound nothing more, that sounds dumb but id rather not have it. And thanks every one else for the input and the pics.

scott

actually ryan is now running 38.5x15 sx on the xj on full widths with 8 inches of lift and a chopped roof. the mj is sitting on stock eagle wheels and tires as the mj's tires went to the Jeegle project which is stock with 33s

I am running his old 36s on 4 inches of lift and tj flares. he was at more around 2 inches of lift

when I bought my xj it was bone stock with 31"A/T. They rubbed every time I hit a bump in the road. I put 2" coil spring spacers in and 1.5" longer shackles. This got rid of most of street rubbing. It didn't flex worth a damn. I've recently put a RE 3.5" superflex kit in and I think it works superb for 31" tires. I don't recommend 31's and anything less than a 3.5" lift but I've done it and it is possible.

Back