• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackels

ogg

NAXJA Forum User
hey all
just wondering about making a pair of shackels.....
i have a 91 xj sport
i've noticed all the shackels for sale are between 1 and 2 inch gains
what i was wondering is if anyone has ever made a set that would give 3 or four extra inches....
is it recommended or even possible...would they b too weal...
could they b made outa thicker steel....ect.
any views and opinions would b greatlly appericeated
thanks
ogg

this might get more help in modified tech, but i would personally recommend against it. to provide 3-4 inches of lift the shackles would have to be 6-8 inches longer than stock, making them over a foot long. neglecting the fact that they would become major rock anchors think about the effect tilting your leafs at that angle would have on your pinion angle, i dont know for sure, but id bet it wouldnt be too pretty. a better option would be some 1.5 inch shackles and maybe an add-a-leaf or blocks, although not as reccomended, there are plenty of ways to do a lift on the cheap, but i dotn think those shackles are the way

why do you want them so long? you're better off getting a new shackle/spring combination going to gain you the height then just relying on the shackle.

Other option is boxing your rear shackle hanger and remounting it lower. This could gain you about an extra inch to two.

I wouldn’t fool around with building your own, very extended shackles. It’s a lot easier to put an add a leaf kit in. If you want to do it really cheap, go to a junkyard and find 2.5” wide springs. The old body style Dakotas, new Rangers and I’m sure a bunch more all use 2 ½” springs. Napa has new center bolts for $2 apiece and spring shops will sell you the spring pack clamps for a couple of bucks apiece. Add as many leaves as necessary to get the height you want. Right now I running 6 leaves and a 1 ½” shackle for a total for 6” of lift in the rear. It works well and was all done dirt-cheap.

Back