• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Line on Frame Rail

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
Dammit, i fix one thing and 3 more things pop up. i was swapping in a D44 rear and while fooling with the e-brake cables i see this:
fuelbrake_1654.jpg

fuelbrake_1658.jpg

i appears to have been there a while, and is not leaking. the xj does feel sluggish

can i simply cut out a 5" section and replace it with rubber fuel line and 2 fuel line hose clamps per side?

You must get better gas mileage that way. :D

If you cut the line you'll need to flare it, otherwise a rubber hose will just pop off sometime on the freeway.

Since there's no rust on the line, you might be able to get a couple of compression fittings (the ones with the little rings that slip onto the line). They're illegal on brake lines, but fine on something like this.

well, if i wanted to do just a compression fitting for now, what exactly type of fittings/ line? would i need?
it is about 3/4" of damage before the line is normal

is brass OK?

I´d just put a quality piece of rubber fuel line in there, run it a couple of inches onto the existing hard line (a little lub of some kind will help) and double hose clamp both ends. If cut with a tubing cutter, smooth the outside edges with a very small file a bit so the rubber slides on there without catching the edge. Use a sharp knife or a deburring tool, to clean the ridge out of the inside (good idea, but not absolutly necessary)(use a vacuum cleaner to keep the filings/metal flakes, out of the line).
If you cut it with a saw, a vacuum cleaner will also help keep the filings out of the line.
Fittings most ways, will leak from vibration or what not faster than the clamps, and arn´t really necessary until the pressures get up around 100 PSI.
I cut in a Toyota fuel filter (for fuel injection) (about twice the size of an early Jeep and a bit finer) in my 96, never had any trouble with it leaking.

i fixed it today. i ended up cutting out about a 2" section w/ a tubing cutter. and i put on a 12" 5/16" goodyear rubber fuel line (said 50psi on it) with 4 clamps.
i used atf to lube the metal line. i dont think i got too many filings in there... hope not, i just swabbed out the line with a q tip where i cut it.
i noticed it is alittle peppier with the full flow restored

Back