• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some newbie xj help

lumpy

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i recently bought a 89 xj and want to lift it 3.5 and try and fit 33's but 32's would be ok i guess. i did some searching and couldnt find anything about 3.5'' lifts and 33's...i dont mind busting out the sawzall either. pics would be great, all i could find was 4.5 on 33's .oh and im going with RE's 3.5'' kit....anything would be great! oh and i was thinking maybe go with a 2'' spacer kit from tera flex if needed..or would i be better off going with the 5.5'' kit from RE? im just trying to budget out being the broke donkey i am.

thanks
Sean

Last edited:
the thing is i like the chopped fender look. im actualy looking forward to busting out the sawzall,lol.....any takers on a 3.5" lift on 33's???

If you go the 3.5" route and then add spacers/longer shackles you may be looking at a new driveshaft at least. If you wheel it at all you will probably need one. I would also think about a SYE as well but with an older one you may not need it.

If you're on a budget then don't forget some of the little things that go along with the lift to make a safe competent rig:

new shocks
new sway bar links (preferably quick disconnects)
new brake lines front and rear
Rear Driveshaft
SYE (may not need it)
New Gears (if you're running 33's you will prob. need it)
New speedo gear (to correct the spedometer for 33's)
skid plates (front, gas tank, transfer case, rock rails)

JMHO

Later,
Rough

If you get the RE 3.5" kit with full leaf packs, and add a 3/4" spacer to the front, it will sit 5/5.5" lift. This is a great kit, especially for 33's if you are going to trim. Here is a somewhat recent thread with some pictures of a few XJ's I worked on: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38001

Trimming and bumpstops will be important. Check out my tech articles on trimming and adjusting bumpstops on my site: www.rocklizardfabrications.com/tech_articles.htm

For these XJ's, we put on the 3.5" kit with packs and 3/4" coil spacer, and added OME long travel shocks, JKS adjustable trackbar, JKS discos, JKS BPE's, YJ brakelines, SYE/CV driveshaft, fender trimming and bumpstops.

I am running the RE 3.5 lift with the AAL and 33x9.50x15 tires with some sawzall work. At full stuff, the rear is a little tight and the fronts rub the LCAs at full lock, but other than that, I am very happy with the setup.
MotorNoggindropin.jpg

Cherokee001.jpg

why buy a 3.5" kit and immediately handicap it with a budget boost? the cost difff between the 3.5" and 4.5" is a lil over $100... a little less trimming and better suspension travel is worth a few $$ more to me.. if you like the "cut" look go for it.. a 33x12.50 will require it anyways.. narrows 33s take less work to run.... if you want 33s its best to build the rig with that in mind..

Back