• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical wiring

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
a few weeks ago my module control the one under the coil went bad i replace it and the other sensor that sends the signal to it cps (not sure the name of it) and i star to have problems whit the starter i replace it and the problem still there when i try to start it it goes like when the battery is low i checked every thing and its fine the cables to the battery its sending the rigth voltage i dont know what to look for is there a realy or anything else any comments will be apreciated TIA

You checked at the starter and found the same voltage as you find checking at the battery- correct? And you checked the wires for resistance with a meter? If a wire is corroded inside the cover, then it may pass voltage but not pass enough current (amps) to start. A starter needs a lot of amperage, not just voltage. If your battery is getting weak, it may be short on amperage for the starter. Can you try putting jumper cable on, from another vehicle, to see if it is a weak battery?

herreraxto said:
a few weeks ago my module control the one under the coil went bad i replace it and the other sensor that sends the signal to it cps (not sure the name of it)...
What year is your XJ and what engine does it have? On my ’91 with a 4.0 there isn’t any type of module under the coil. The cps is all by itself; no other sensors send a signal to it. Are you talking about the throttle position sensor (TPS) located in the throttle body?

I think he may have an early (Renix) 4.0L. Those had an ignition control module mounted directly under the coil.
----------------
Pienso que él puede tener un temprano (Renix) 4.0L. Esos tuvo un módulo del control de la ignición montado directamente a bajo la bobina de la ignición.

jldiaz said:
Hey, Eagle.... You do OK in spanish......
Self-defense. My wife is a Chilena :) I'm still learning

Muchas gracias por su ayuda pero todavia no puedo encontrar la falla, se me hace que mejor lo voy a llevar al taller para que se la puedan econtrar nada mas que a mi me gusta arreglarla

Al igual que Eagle yo aprendo ingles y el español pero creo que el español (castellano forma mas correcta) que usted sabe es mucho muy diferente al Mexicano al igual al de Venezuela pero como quiera se entiende nada mas cambian frases o palabras pero no es mucha la diferencia

Self-defense, or survival?......

OK. Let's get back to it:

Herrera: If I get it right, your engine cranks slowly and You've changed the starting motor with no improvement.
So, check the wiring again. Especially the thick cable that goes from the Battery to the starter.
I have seen some really weird things happen on the battery side. Check voltage while wiggling the wires and see if it drops. And check the relay too.
Do you have a manual to see where the relay is?

-- Segun entiendo, tu motor de arranque no tiene fuerza; y lo has cambiado sin que se arregle el problema.
Entonces, vuelve a revisar el cableado. Especialmente el cable grueso que va de la batria al motor de arranque.
He visto cosas verdaderamente extrañas suceder del lado de la batería. Revisa el voltaje mientras mueves los cables; y no olvides mirar el Relé.
Tienes un manual para ver donde está el relé?

----- So, We have a bilingual Forum -----

jldiaz said:
Self-defense, or survival?......

OK. Let's get back to it:

Herrera: If I get it right, your engine cranks slowly and You've changed the starting motor with no improvement.
So, check the wiring again. Especially the thick cable that goes from the Battery to the starter.
I have seen some really weird things happen on the battery side. Check voltage while wiggling the wires and see if it drops. And check the relay too.
Do you have a manual to see where the relay is?

-- Segun entiendo, tu motor de arranque no tiene fuerza; y lo has cambiado sin que se arregle el problema.
Entonces, vuelve a revisar el cableado. Especialmente el cable grueso que va de la batria al motor de arranque.
He visto cosas verdaderamente extrañas suceder del lado de la batería. Revisa el voltaje mientras mueves los cables; y no olvides mirar el Relé.
Tienes un manual para ver donde está el relé?

----- So, We have a bilingual Forum -----

:) Multi-lingual is more like it. We've had posts in Russian in the past, and other languages as well.

We actually wrote a rule about it, because we have visitors from so many countries. All posts are to be in English if possible, but if we get a question from someone who is not fluent in English and someone else can answer in that person's native language, we encourage it -- but we ask that the answer also be posted in English so that everyone can read it and benefit from the information.

Just the way you did it.

Check the ground connections. The starter motor does not have a ground (negative) wire. The return path for electicity goes through the engine, through the ground wires, and then to the battery. Check to be certain that the starter is tightly attached to the motor. There is a braided strap at the back of the engine to the firewall. Inspect the connections at both ends of that strap. Inspect the connection where the negative wire from the battery attaches to the engine.

It is possible that the starter motor is failing. The original starter motor on my 1988 Cherokee failed at approximately 160,000 miles (267,000 km). How many kilometers are on your Cherokee?
-------------------------------
Verifique las conexiones de la tierra. El arranque no tiene un alambre de la tierra (negativo). El sendero del regreso para la electricidad atraviesa el motor, por los alambres de la tierra, y entonces a la batería. Prueba para ser cierto que el arranque es conectado apretadamente al motor. Hay un trenzó correa al final del motor al cortafuegos. Revisa las conexiones en ambos fines de esa correa. Revisa la conexión donde el alambre negativo de la batería conecta al motor.

Es posible que el arranque falla. El arranque original en mi 1988 Cherokee falló en aproximadamente 160,000 millas (267,000 km). ¿Cuántos kilómetros están en su Cherokee?

i already checked all the connections i recently changed the ignition switch i dont know what else to think the problem is

ya verifique todoas las conecciones y recientemente cambie el switch de la ignicion no se en que mas pensar para este problema

i have 140,000 miles like 225,300 on kilometros

If you can obtain an ammeter which reads by induction, test the amperage used when you actuate the starter motor. I suspect that the starter motor is beginning to fail internally. One of the indications is that it will begin to require more current to function.
----------------------------
Si usted puede obtener un amperímetro que lee por la inducción, prueba el amperaje usó cuando usted acciona el arranque. Sospecho que el arranque comienza a fallar internamente. Uno de las indicaciones son que comenzarán a requerir más corriente a funcionar.

I had trouble with my engine starting hard a while back. It was really slow starting and I had to keep on it to get it to turn over. Tried everything I could think of and finally took it into the dealership. They said that the distributor needed to be re-indexed. I'm not sure exactly what that is, but it starts great now and even seems to run smoother. Might want to look into that.

A simple trick is to use a set of jumper cables. Run the positive from the battery directly to the starter and see if that makes a difference. If not, also run the ground from the starter case directly to the negative post on the battery. This totally bypasses all of the wiring or any other possible cause. If it still cranks slowly, it is either the battery or the starter.

Back