• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy d 44s (Long)

xj paddler

NAXJA Forum User
I have just came across a set of d 44s out of a grand waggonier. I have just gotten the motor back in my Jeep and also lifted it 6.5 inches( with adjustible upper and lower arms. Now that I have the 44s I want to go ahead and make a set of long arms while making the swap, also planning on doing an over the knuckle sterring set up of some kind (havent decided what yet). I have done a few searchs for info on this type of swap, but I am still looking for any info, pros and cons.
The jeep will be my daily driver and really will not see any extreme wheeling, a few trails here and there but nothing like the stuff you guys do.this is the reason I have decided to go with long arms instead of a mid size or drop brackets. If anyone has any pics of a waggy 44 under there rig, or a build up I would like to see them.

Later Heath

Why are you putting a 44 in the front of our rig if your not gonna wheel it much. The 30 will handle minimal abuse upto 35"s. ALOT of fabrication goes into putting a 44 up front. Also to run high steer youll need some flat top knuckles. I hope you are a pretty good welder and can work with metal because thats what youll be doing. If you are gonna do it yourself then grab a junkyard axle from a 80"s Grand Waggy EXEPT 83 & 84 which had the vacum-disco. Build away, thats what I did. Heres some pics, I need to redo my steering but it works for a trail rig.
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Heep, Thanks for the reply Working with metal is not a prob, I am a welder buy trade, and build Semi trailers for a living. I want to put the 44 under it because if I decide to do some wheeling, It cant hurt to have the larger axles.
Also because there free so whynot.

Did you have to use and offset ball joint to get your caster wright, when reclocking your pinion angle?????

Nice rig

Later Heath

As far as getting the castor correct some people argue about this. The argument would be since the waggy 44 is LP (low pinion) you should consider turning the knucles a few degrees ( 6 I believe) and welding em back up so you have built in casor without moving the steering to a bad angle. Since if you just turned your UCA's everything would move (steering and all) and give you no vibes but would give you bad steering. I see this being a problem if your at like 9+ inches of lift . I didnt turn the knuckles because I have lockout hubs which would eliminate any vibes up front. I dont have any vibes in 4 wheel either so turning the knuckles is overrated. Your only around 6.5" of lift so i wouldnt bother with it. Go ahead and put some offset ball joints in there while your at it because it wont hurt anything, it may help a little.

Back