• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Lift Parts and Questions

muddy_daze

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at doing a 2" lift on my cherokee and I am wondering what all that entails, besides coil spring spacers and shackles or add-a-leafs. I am also wanting to maximize flex so sway bar disconnects will be used, but other then the sway bar, what is the limiting factor in flexing a cherokee with a 2" lift and 30x9.50's?

Thanks,
Justin

You should get an extended brakeline for the rear. I bought an RE 2" BB, came with spacers, AAL, stainless brake line for the rear, new doestch3000 shocks, and a bunch of stickers. It was $220 from jeepinoutfitters.com with free shipping. Im installing the front tomorrow. Im running 31x10.5" tires though, not 30x9.5

Shock length. Shocks are set up so that at static ride height (normal height at curb weight) the piston is at the midpoint of the bore, allowing more or less the same amount of extension and compression.

You can use the stock shocks with a 2" lift. In fact, I discussed this with an engineer from Monroe/Ranche, and he said they don't start making shocks for les than a 3" lift. They consider the stock shocks good for up to 3" of lift. But -- a 2" lift is going to use up a significant percentage of your available droop if you use the stock shocks.

There are options. For the front, you can buy stud extenders for the upper end. They're cheap and they work. If you use them, be sure to extend the front bump stop or you run the risk of damaging the shock if you fully compress the suspension. The rear isn't as easy, because the lower end is an eye and the upper end is a bar pin. You can certainly get bar pin eliminators, which drop the upper mount a bit in the direction you want, but the good ones aren't cheap. If you're handy, you can fab your own.

Or you can buy slightly longer shocks. I no have the URL but NAXJA member Ed Stevens has a personal web page with a suspension write-up that includes some very good info on shock selection. I suggest you chase down that page.

The limiting factor for the Budget Boost will be the brakelines and the shocks.

ok, say I want new shocks then, I put on 3" lift shocks... what will be worse, using stock shocks and over-extending them or using the 3" shocks and, for lack of a better term "bottom them out"? since a 3" shock would not be at "mid-bore" on a 2" lift

Back