• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 4L wont start

dan

NAXJA Member # 1521
Son XJ tested and or replaced tps cps bat starter dist. coil/Mod etc. still has problem starting on wet days.I think the connector on firewall needs cleaning Question, how do i get it loose? it seems to have clips at the top that i cant get to turn loose.please advise and what should i use to clean plug Dan

dan said:
Son XJ tested and or replaced tps cps bat starter dist. coil/Mod etc. still has problem starting on wet days.I think the connector on firewall needs cleaning Question, how do i get it loose? it seems to have clips at the top that i cant get to turn loose.please advise and what should i use to clean plug Dan

It's been a while since I saw one, but I think the big firewall connector has a bolt in the middle that holds it together. When I did my daughter's 87 I used an electrical contact cleaner in an aerosol. There are industrial ones, or you can get TV tuner cleaner from a place like radio shack. Spray it liberally, then plug and unplug it a few times. Then I greased it up with dielectric grease. You can give the same treatment to the other plugs and connectors in the engine, and if you have a few minutes to spare it's a good idea to get to the connector for the front light harness, which is down beneath the air cleaner.

Back